Museum storage ideas?

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 28, 2009
      We need to brainstorm for storage ideas.

      I'd like to abandon our basement room and move ALL of our storage into one of the H-building sections. Fred said that's okay if we meet two requirements: everything is neatly organized, and everything is easily moved by casters or forklift.

      Our very heavy items are already on wheels or can sit on pallets.

      My concern is the small stuff. Pallets don't have a back or sides and they offer only one level; large metal storage carts are very expensive; strong utility tables don't have wheels.

      Please share your constructive, non-sarcastic ideas.

      We could start The Big Schlep a few weeks after Halloween. For now we need serious ideas.
    • Joe Giliberti

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 28, 2009
            >>> Pallets don't have a back or sides and they offer only one level

            One idea: attach two or three pallets in a row, with caster wheels in the middle and at one end, to make a train car of sorts. Then we can put simple fencing / gating around the back and both short sides.
          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 28, 2009
              Holy cow, Joe and I had similar ideas. Scary!

              "Wall" sounds difficult. I'm thinking some kind of modular fence.

              Off to sleep now.
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 28, 2009
                I'm frightened...

                On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:20 AM, <evan@...> wrote:

                Holy cow, Joe and I had similar ideas. Scary!

                "Wall" sounds difficult. I'm thinking some kind of modular fence.

                Off to sleep now.

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                  First ask yourself

                  Why move to the H Building?
                  - less humid

                  Why not move to the H Building?
                  - More secure

                  The Humid stuff I think can be handled with plastic storage bags and Silica Gel packets

                  If we get people to locate those items, we could wrap up a lot of the stuff in bags and and gell and they are better protected.

                  I mean EVERY piece of electronic equipment comes with these bags. Just put out the word that we need Silica Gell bags and Plastic bags and we should be good.

                  Also a vacuum to vacuum out the air helps.

                • Mr Ian Primus
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                    --- On Tue, 9/29/09, evan@... <evan@...> wrote:

                    > back or sides and they offer only one level
                    >
                    > One idea: attach two or three pallets in a row, with caster
                    > wheels in the middle and at one end, to make a train car of
                    > sorts. Then we can put simple fencing / gating around the
                    > back and both short sides.

                    Take a pallet and bolt four strong casters to the bottom. Then, using plywood, make a back and sides, and you can bolt in more pallets to make shelves. Masonite nailed down to the pallets creates a smooth flat surface to put things on (so stuff doesn't fall through the holes in the pallet - cables tangle and get hooked through pallets easy. Just have to be careful to load heavy stuff on the bottom so you have stability...

                    -Ian
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                      <snip>

                      > The Humid stuff I think can be handled with plastic storage bags and
                      Silica Gel packets

                      > If we get people to locate those items, we could wrap up a lot of the
                      stuff in bags and and gell and they are better protected.

                      > I mean EVERY piece of electronic equipment comes with these bags. Just
                      put out the word that we need Silica Gell bags and Plastic bags and we
                      should be good.

                      > Also a vacuum to vacuum out the air helps.

                      This is important for all of those IC's from Grabbe, over time these will
                      get corroded, even in their plastic boxes, if the moisture cannot escape
                      faster than it enters.

                      Personally I place everything in my inventory into a bag or anti-static bag
                      (when it fits). I am always thinking long term storage. I also have a
                      dehumidifier running. It's A LOT of work though, something that needs to
                      be done diligently and for now, we should focus on bagging items in
                      priority order. I wish I could be there more often.

                      Bill
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                        I did forget to mention anti-static bags..

                        How about this.. A lot of us work in a computer related field where we can obtain anti-static and silica gel bags for free.

                        We should take them and wrap stuff up

                        I have a storage space, but I don't have electricity in that space, so I cannot run a dehumidifier.

                        I put machines into boxes with gel bags. Put the boxes into plastic bags, then with a vacuum I take all the air out.

                        > The Humid stuff I think can be handled with plastic storage bags and
                        Silica Gel packets

                        > If we get people to locate those items, we could wrap up a lot of the
                        stuff in bags and and gell and they are better protected.

                        > I mean EVERY piece of electronic equipment comes with these bags. Just
                        put out the word that we need Silica Gell bags and Plastic bags and we
                        should be good.

                        > Also a vacuum to vacuum out the air helps.

                        This is important for all of those IC's from Grabbe, over time these will
                        get corroded, even in their plastic boxes, if the moisture cannot escape
                        faster than it enters.

                        Personally I place everything in my inventory into a bag or anti-static bag
                        (when it fits). I am always thinking long term storage. I also have a
                        dehumidifier running. It's A LOT of work though, something that needs to
                        be done diligently and for now, we should focus on bagging items in
                        priority order. I wish I could be there more often.

                        Bill

                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                          While not particularly active with or a member of MARCH, I am 15 minutes
                          away in Jackson and the Evans Area was an old working haunt for me in the
                          80s.

                          If you need more hands to move whatever you have in storage, let me know;
                          I'd be willing to invest my time to preserve this history.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                            > If you need more hands to move whatever you have in storage, let me know;
                            > I'd be willing to invest my time to preserve this history.

                            Thanks, we'll probably accept that offer.
                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                              The best bang for the buck solution is stackable plastic crates IMHO. Also
                              useful are things on wheels that don't require a forklift to be moved
                              around.
                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                Allow me to rephrase my last email.

                                Stackable plastic bins - These are relatively cheap and they keep out the
                                dust without having to wrap every single little thing in a bag. 4 bins can
                                be stacked on a pallet for transport. You can store un-used bins in a
                                small footprint. We could fit the entire loose basement storage of smaller
                                items in 15 bins.

                                The larger systems and terminals should be covered at all times with a
                                fitted sheet or something that protects from dust, but allows air to
                                circulate from underneith, and for moisture to escape.

                                Bill
                              • Joe Giliberti

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                    We can get a few things like this:
                                    http://tinyurl.com/ya5bgps

                                    Or like this:
                                    http://tinyurl.com/yaeqbzg

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                      > Why move to the H Building?
                                      > - less humid
                                      >
                                      > Why not move to the H Building?
                                      > - More secure

                                      The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker :) but
                                      that doesn't mean they are not secure. Also, we could put some kind of
                                      gate around our area, since it wouldn't be totally private like we have now.

                                      What I like about the H-building idea is:
                                      - huge amount of space available
                                      - everything we have in one spot
                                      - no more moving things up/down stairs
                                      - access to forklift / pallet jack
                                      - no more banging my head on ceiling pipes!!!
                                    • Joe Giliberti
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                        those sterilite cases are too small for anything besides chips, and are pretty expensive.

                                        On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                        > Why move to the H Building?
                                        > - less humid
                                        >
                                        > Why not move to the H Building?
                                        > - More secure

                                        The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker :) but
                                        that doesn't mean they are not secure. Also, we could put some kind of
                                        gate around our area, since it wouldn't be totally private like we have now.

                                        What I like about the H-building idea is:
                                        - huge amount of space available
                                        - everything we have in one spot
                                        - no more moving things up/down stairs
                                        - access to forklift / pallet jack
                                        - no more banging my head on ceiling pipes!!!

                                      • Andy Meyer
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                          On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                          > The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker  :)

                                          Let's not move things unless absolutely necessary.
                                          Sure it would be nice to have everything in one place.
                                          But every time stuff gets moved, things get separated and we risk
                                          items getting damaged.

                                          I know I say this every time, but the endless shuffle seems, well, endless.
                                          Let's concentrate on getting *our* space, making it secure and THEN
                                          move stuff into it.
                                          Seems like a no-brainer.

                                          Andy
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                            Nah, I've seen larger ones.  And we have a lot of small things to put in them.  Cables, accessories, parts, etc.

                                            Right now it's all just ideas though.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                              >>> I know I say this every time, but the endless shuffle seems, well,
                                              endless.

                                              Actually, 50% of all past shuffling was just because I felt we all
                                              needed the exercise. :)
                                            • Joe Giliberti
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                Grrrrrr....

                                                Andy has a point. Has anyone seen the KIM recently?....

                                                On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                                >>> I know I say this every time, but the endless shuffle seems, well,
                                                endless.

                                                Actually, 50% of all past shuffling was just because I felt we all
                                                needed the exercise. :)

                                              • joprysko1
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 30, 2009
                                                  While not a lot of the anti-static bags, I think I have a pack of 10 small ones I purchased new when CompUSA was going out of business. Plus I may be able to hunt around my office at work and see if I can find some more.

                                                  Joe O.

                                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                                                  > those sterilite cases are too small for anything besides chips, and are
                                                  > pretty expensive.
                                                  >
                                                  > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  > > > Why move to the H Building?
                                                  > > > - less humid
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Why not move to the H Building?
                                                  > > > - More secure
                                                  > >
                                                  > > The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker :) but
                                                  > > that doesn't mean they are not secure. Also, we could put some kind of
                                                  > > gate around our area, since it wouldn't be totally private like we have
                                                  > > now.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > What I like about the H-building idea is:
                                                  > > - huge amount of space available
                                                  > > - everything we have in one spot
                                                  > > - no more moving things up/down stairs
                                                  > > - access to forklift / pallet jack
                                                  > > - no more banging my head on ceiling pipes!!!

                                                • Justin Jernigan
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                                                    I use the stackable 12 gallon commerical totes from Costco @ about $5 each. They also can be locked with a long hasp padlock, or even slipping a zip tie through them will deter passersby from opening them up. You could also place 9 of them on a pallet for 'mass transit', or stack 3 or 4 on a quality hand truck. They are pretty durable, I have about 2 dozen of them, and have only had 1 lid break in the past several years. Oh yeah, they are transparent, so you can see what the heck is in there!

                                                    As far as the original subject of palletizing and moving - best to limit your transport to one pallet at a time using a pallet jack or by applying casters to a pallet (2 fixed, 2 swivel), you will save a lot of headaches that way. One suggestion would be to try and see if you can find a 'pallet box', which is just a cardboard box, sans top, that has the same footprint as a pallet. They are durable and will hold a fair amount of weight against the sidewalls. Sometimes you can find one with a lid, it may take some hunting. Tile/Flooring stores usually have some on hand that they will give you, I will check my local tile place to see if I can get one. I *may* have casters to donate to the cause, I am pretty sure I have at least two fixed type I scavenged from an arcade game a few years back.