Rockwell AIM 65 to S100 Bus??

  • joprysko1
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
      Supposedly there is a motherboard that will allow the Rockwell AIM 65 (6502 based computer) to connect to S100 bus cards. Does anyone know anything about this? Would anyone know if a connector could be made to connect to an S100 Motherboard (I have a 6 slot S100 bus board/motherboard)

      Oh, and by the way.. HI! I am new to the group!!
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
        Welcome to the group!

        There was something called a KIMSI that allowed a KIM-1 to be connected to an S-100 bus.  Schematics for it are probably on the web.

        Why not just build an S-100 system?  NOS 64K memory boards and serial I/O boards are available from Anchor Electronics.  Herb Johnson has a supply of Versafloppy II disk controllers that'll connect to PC floppy drives.  You'll need a CPU board, but they show up on eBay regularly.  Someone was recently selling a German-made blank board that was an exact copy of the Northstar Z80 board (ZPA?  Forget the part number now).

        Bob

        On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:26 PM, joprysko1 wrote:

        Supposedly there is a motherboard that will allow the Rockwell AIM 65 (6502 based computer) to connect to S100 bus cards. Does anyone know anything about this? Would anyone know if a connector could be made to connect to an S100 Motherboard (I have a 6 slot S100 bus board/motherboard)

        Oh, and by the way.. HI! I am new to the group!!

      • Bill Dromgoole
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
          Ther was a board for the KIM-1 to S-100 interface.

          http://www.applefritter.com/node/2784

          It would probably work with the AIM-65.

          billdrom

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
            >>> Supposedly there is a motherboard that will allow the Rockwell AIM
            65 (6502 based computer) to connect to S100 bus cards. Does anyone know
            anything about this? Would anyone know if a connector could be made to
            connect to an S100 Motherboard (I have a 6 slot S100 bus board/motherboard)

            >>> Oh, and by the way.. HI! I am new to the group!!

            Welcome.

            Lots of S100 experts here so I'm sure someone will know the answer.

            How'd you hear about us? Where do you live?
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
              joprysko1 wrote:
              > Supposedly there is a motherboard that will allow the Rockwell AIM 65 (6502 based computer) to connect to S100 bus cards. Does anyone know anything about this? Would anyone know if a connector could be made to connect to an S100 Motherboard (I have a 6 slot S100 bus board/motherboard)
              >
              > Oh, and by the way.. HI! I am new to the group!!

              I am not sure, but I may have such a thing. I can check
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
                joprysko1 wrote:
                > Supposedly there is a motherboard that will allow the Rockwell AIM 65 (6502 based computer) to connect to S100 bus cards. Does anyone know anything about this? Would anyone know if a connector could be made to connect to an S100 Motherboard (I have a 6 slot S100 bus board/motherboard)
                >
                > Oh, and by the way.. HI! I am new to the group!!

                Joprysko1
                What is your name? Where are you from?

                I have a lot of AIM 65 stuff, but it's been on the back burner because I
                have been focusing on 8080 systems / S-100 for the past few years.

                Maybe in January when we have our next hacker weekend you could bring
                your AIM set up. I am not sure where the hacker weekend will be, I
                suppose my house in Landenberg, PA.

                Bill
              • joprysko1
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                  My name is Joe Oprysko, I live in Hatboro, PA.

                  Yeah, I saw that there was one last year and I am looking forward to it. I hopefully will be getting the AIM 65 setup from my co-worker this week. He had used it in the 70's and 80's to build and circuits for the broadcast industry. He told me he also has the expansion cage (I am assuming the Microflex 65 cage) as well as some breadboards and other expansion cards. So I am very excited about this.

                  It has really been too long for me with actually "Fixing" computers. I remember being armed with a soldering iron and logic probe and multi-meter to do board level repairs on computers.

                  Over the years because of moving, I have lost so many interesting pieces, either because they were too big or too expensive to move (As well as years ago, after I moved from my parents house, a lot of my stuff found it's way to the dumpsters.) :(

                  I don't have a huge collection of stuff right now, but I am working on it.

                  Oh, something else I found very interesting, apparently next week, there is a guy who is going to be e-baying an Apple 1.

                  Well, I am definitely looking forward to the hacking weekend, and looking forward to meeting other Vintage computer fans. :)

                  Joe

                  > joprysko1 wrote:
                  > > Supposedly there is a motherboard that will allow the Rockwell AIM 65 (6502 based computer) to connect to S100 bus cards. Does anyone know anything about this? Would anyone know if a connector could be made to connect to an S100 Motherboard (I have a 6 slot S100 bus board/motherboard)
                  > >
                  > > Oh, and by the way.. HI! I am new to the group!!
                  > >

                  > Joprysko1
                  > What is your name? Where are you from?
                  >
                  > I have a lot of AIM 65 stuff, but it's been on the back burner because I
                  > have been focusing on 8080 systems / S-100 for the past few years.
                  >
                  > Maybe in January when we have our next hacker weekend you could bring
                  > your AIM set up. I am not sure where the hacker weekend will be, I
                  > suppose my house in Landenberg, PA.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • joprysko1
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                    I forget exactly where I found the group information, it was though through a very convoluted series of hops through various web pages when I was looking for info about the AIM.

                    I live in Hatboro, PA, right outside of Philadelphia. I am in the process of inventorying the units in my collection, it's not huge, and it is somewhat varied (Not as varied as it used to be though)

                    One of the pieces I do like that I picked up in a lot of equipment I bought is a 128k Mac, after decoding the serial number it was the 780th Mac manufactured in the 2nd production week of 1984, so it is probably the earliest Mac I've seen.

                    Thanks,

                    Joe

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                      >>> My name is Joe Oprysko, I live in Hatboro, PA.

                      Glad you're here. I deem thee Joe O., as we already have a Joe (G.)

                      Sounds like you'll fit in! I changed your message status from "need approval" to "automatic" since you proved that you're not a troll or spambot.

                      Our next "official" event is our winter party during some not-yet-decided weekend in December ... the Vintage Computer Festivus! That's at our museum in Wall, N.J.
                    • joprysko1
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                        Does that have anything to do with the other messages in regards to moving stuff to the museum, or is that a different one? Because I would like to help with the move if help is needed.

                        I would love to visit the museum sometime soon. :) It's an awesome thing that I have often thought of trying to do.

                        In my younger years I was horrible to hardware, to the point where if I couldn't fix it and get it to work, I would make sure no one could.. I kind of regret those days and the now classic/vintage tech that I annihilated.

                        Here is an example. To some people erasing a hard drive is enough to be able to chuck it. To me, that would be nothing, I would remove every screw, bend every platter, use a screw driver and pop every chip off the board.. pretty much if I was throwing something out, it WAS nothing but trash.. But those days are long gone.. (although even if I throw out a TV or something now adays, I will cut the power cable, and do some additional collateral damage to the unit to make it "not worth" trying to fix.. I guess old habits die hard.

                        I can often be a wellspring of knowledge also, in tracking down info about rare/obscure items.

                        I am looking forward to participating in this group.

                        Thanks,

                        Joe O.

                        (Also, if we want a "Handle" for me, ExSlyder is one that I have used for many, many years.)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                          No, winter party is just that - club holiday party - along with an ultra-informal member's-only swap meet / tech day / vintage videogame lounge / boozefest / etc. .... last time we grilled burgers and watched "Spaceballs" on a 10-foot projection screen.

                          If you want to use that handle then I suggest signing your emails as such, that way we'll all begin the name association game. However "Joe O." Is fine with us. No biggie; we already have four "Bill D." members!

                          Museum is open every Sunday from 1pm-4pm but you should make an appointment (with me) for a private tour. Email me off-list at evan@....

                          Does that have anything to do with the other messages in regards to moving stuff to the museum, or is that a different one? Because I would like to help with the move if help is needed.

                          I would love to visit the museum sometime soon. :) It's an awesome thing that I have often thought of trying to do.

                          In my younger years I was horrible to hardware, to the point where if I couldn't fix it and get it to work, I would make sure no one could.. I kind of regret those days and the now classic/vintage tech that I annihilated.

                          Here is an example. To some people erasing a hard drive is enough to be able to chuck it. To me, that would be nothing, I would remove every screw, bend every platter, use a screw driver and pop every chip off the board.. pretty much if I was throwing something out, it WAS nothing but trash.. But those days are long gone.. (although even if I throw out a TV or something now adays, I will cut the power cable, and do some additional collateral damage to the unit to make it "not worth" trying to fix.. I guess old habits die hard.

                          I can often be a wellspring of knowledge also, in tracking down info about rare/obscure items.

                          I am looking forward to participating in this group.

                          Thanks,

                          Joe O.

                          (Also, if we want a "Handle" for me, ExSlyder is one that I have used for many, many years.)

                          > Glad you're here. I deem thee Joe O., as we already have a Joe (G.)
                          >
                          > Sounds like you'll fit in! I changed your message status from "need approval" to "automatic" since you proved that you're not a troll or spambot.
                          >
                          > Our next "official" event is our winter party during some not-yet-decided weekend in December ... the Vintage Computer Festivus! That's at our museum in Wall, N.J.

                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
                            Welcome to the group. I would love to learn more about the AIM 65. I will
                            let you know when the hacking weekend will be, or maybe sometime sooner. I
                            live in Landenberg, PA, not that far from you.
                            Bill