Commodore 64 on Psych

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2009
      The latest episode of Psych on USA Network that appeared on 9/25/09 had a Commodore 64 in the opening sequence. It was a flashback to 1989. A little late to still be selling Commodore 64's in stores, but I think it might have been on clearance. I see a label that says "Buy Now, $59 !"

      There is another computer that appears when the camera takes a different angle, but I can't identify it. It seems to have a built in LCD. They do repeats of this episode: "High Top Fade Out", which is Season 4, Episode 7. If you want to see the episode consult your local cable company's listings. Maybe someone else can identify it.

      I have cablevision and it will repeat:

      Sat, Sep 26 2009 11:00PM, CH 38
      Sat, Sep 26 2009 11:00PM, CH 738
      Oct 5 2009 3:00AM, CH 38
      Oct 5 2009 3:00AM, CH 738
      Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:00AM, CH 38
      Wed, Sep 30 2009 7:00PM, CH 744
      Sep 30 2009 12:00AM, CH 738
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2009
        Jeffrey Brace wrote:
        The latest episode of Psych on USA Network that appeared on 9/25/09 had a Commodore 64 in the opening sequence. It was a flashback to 1989. A little late to still be selling Commodore 64's in stores, but I think it might have been on clearance. I see a label that says "Buy Now, $59 !"

        I could believe they were selling C64's in 1989.  Esp. the C64-C's  There were 10 million sold of the C64/C64-C.

        Bill
      • David Greelish
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2009

          << Posted by: "Jeffrey Brace"

          The latest episode of Psych on USA Network that appeared on 9/25/09 had a Commodore 64 in the opening sequence. It was a flashback to 1989. A little late to still be selling Commodore 64's in stores, but I think it might have been on clearance. I see a label that says "Buy Now, $59 !" >>

          My first computer was a C64, given to me at Christmas 1986, but it was stolen a year later. I actually purchased my own in July 1991 for $199. It was the "Test Pilot" bundle, with a disk drive (not cassette drive) and games - http://www.mellema.net/homecomputers/images/commodore/Commodore_C64_Testpilot_Large.jpg

          I purchased it on the Army base in Darmstadt, Germany, and they actively carried games and such for C64 until I came back to the states in March 1993. I also use to go to the local Wertkauf (Germany's Walmart-like store which was later acquired by them), and buy diskettes, joysticks, etc. The C64 was still pretty big at that time, in Germany at least. Anyone ever heard of 64'er magazine - http://cgi.ebay.com/64er-Magazin-Ausg-10-91-Zeitschrift-Commodore-64_W0QQitemZ230380783461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a3c3c765&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

          Best,

          David Greelish

          The Home of Computer History Nostalgia

          The Classic Computing Show podcast

          Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer
          audio book podcast

          The Classic Computing Expo
          (planning / working towards spring 2010)
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2009
            >>> I personally bought my C64 used in 1985 for $150 from a friend of
            my brothers. I got C64, 1702 Monitor, 1541 drive, datassette, lots of
            games, 1526 printer. It was a steal. I certainly couldn't have gotten
            all those peripherals if I had gotten an Apple II like I originally wanted.

            For comparison: in '84, I think my parents paid north of $2K for a
            full-blown //e setup.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2009
              You were in Germany in 1991 that explains why you could still buy one new in the stores.  As far as I know C64 was more popular in Europe. It's strange that they still sold the Test Pilot Package with a tape drive instead of a disk drive in 1991.

              I personally bought my C64 used in 1985 for $150 from a friend of my brothers. I got C64, 1702 Monitor, 1541 drive, datassette, lots of games, 1526 printer. It was a steal. I certainly couldn't have gotten all those peripherals if I had gotten an Apple II like I originally wanted.

              I have heard of 64'er magazine in my travelings on the internet and IRC. I never read it or owned that mag.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 27, 2009
                The other computer, I think, is a compaq portable III