Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: IBM Computer Identification

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 5, 2005
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
      >
      >> chrism3667 wrote:
      >> >
      >> > IDE,

      >> > several

      >> > It's probably exactly that Joe, and IDE connector. The IDE interface
      >> > bacame popular sometime during the original PC/AT's reign, but required
      >> > a board to use it on those. You might not have too much success
      >>
      >> IDE interfaces for MCA machines are *extremely* rare. And if it is
      >> indeed one, I would pay a tidy sum of money for it. I would very much
      >> doubt that it is an IDE interface. The only MCA IDE controller I've
      >> ever heard of is made by Arco Electronics, and is marked as such.
      >>
      >> MCA machines tend to have MFM, RLL, ESDI or SCSI.
      >>

      >> Peace... Sridhar
      >
      > The connector on the board looks identical to a standard IDE cable. 40
      > pins with the slot at the top. A standard IDE cable fits it.

      Is it a Microchannel card? Does it say "Arco Electronics" on it?

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Timothy J Fagan
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 15, 2009
        FWIW... I think this entire discussion shouldn't have been handled on the list at all.

        But that's just my take.

        Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:08 AM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] List

        I'll say this in public: I should have agreed with Andy four years ago when he argued for a list that we control instead of using Yahoo.