RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: found too late for VCF: SCSI cd drives

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 19, 2009
      "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> writes:

      >VAXman:
      >> Just FYI, the DEC RRD45 (SCSI CD Drive) is the Toshiba XM-5401B
      >> ... I have roughly 40 of them. :rolleyes:
      >
      >I can't top that for quantity but I found another variety:
      >6: Toshiba XM-4101B 1/3 height drives, 2 with black faceplates
      >I think they're 2x, not 4x as many web pages claim.

      Another. The Toshiba XM-4101B was sold as the DEC RRD43 CD drives.
      The one I've currently looking and now seated in my lap is Jan 1994.

      >Also 2: Teac CD-46E 6x laptop drives. I bought the laptop drive to ribbon c=
      >able adapter and velcroed the drive into my minitower because it was much l=
      >ess expensive than other 6x drives at the time.
      >
      >question: can the 4101B be jumpered for 512 byte sectors too?

      I don't know that either had jumpers for selecting 512 byte sectoring.

      If this helps, this is how mine is jumpered:

      .---------------------------------------------------------.
      | [:::::::::::::::::::::::::] | o o o o | |
      | `---------- |
      `-----------------------------|-|-|-|---|-|-|-------------'
      - - x x - - x
      I I I P P T T
      D D D R R E E
      1 2 4 T V S R
      Y - T M

      The 'x' depicts how my drive is jumpered. The drive is jumpered for
      SCSI ID 4. There are no jumper marking on this drive; however, the
      case in which it is mounted *is*. The designations are shown above.
      Hopefully, you have an ASCII plain-text reader so that my ASCII art
      of the back of the drive can be understood.

      BTW, I always liked this drive. It has a VERY sturdy drive tray. I
      think Toshiba and others made poor, cheap commodity design decisions
      with later models.