Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: IBM Computer Identification

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 5, 2005
      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
      chrism3667 wrote:

      > IDE,
      >
      >>but I doubt it. Also, what kind of RAM does it take? There are
      >
      > several
      >
      >>slots on the mainboard that look like they held SIMMs, but not sure.
      >>Thanks a lot.
      >

      >  It's probably exactly that Joe, and IDE connector. The IDE interface
      > bacame popular sometime during the original PC/AT's reign, but required
      > a board to use it on those. You might not have too much success

      IDE interfaces for MCA machines are *extremely* rare.  And if it is
      indeed one, I would pay a tidy sum of money for it.  I would very much
      doubt that it is an IDE interface.  The only MCA IDE controller I've
      ever heard of is made by Arco Electronics, and is marked as such.

      MCA machines tend to have MFM, RLL, ESDI or SCSI.

      Peace...  Sridhar
      The connector on the board looks identical to a standard IDE cable. 40 pins with the slot at the top. A standard IDE cable fits it.

      -Joe
    • Timothy J Fagan
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 15, 2009
        FWIW... I think this entire discussion shouldn't have been handled on the list at all.

        But that's just my take.

        Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:08 AM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] List

        I'll say this in public: I should have agreed with Andy four years ago when he argued for a list that we control instead of using Yahoo.