Re: IBM Computer Identification

  • chrism3667
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 5, 2005
      > Thanks a lot for that. Now where can I get the drives for this thing?
      > There is a connector on the motherboard that looks like a standard
      IDE,
      > but I doubt it. Also, what kind of RAM does it take? There are
      several
      > slots on the mainboard that look like they held SIMMs, but not sure.
      > Thanks a lot.

      It's probably exactly that Joe, and IDE connector. The IDE interface
      bacame popular sometime during the original PC/AT's reign, but required
      a board to use it on those. You might not have too much success
      plugging a recent drive into it though. I have to try that myself one
      of these days. I did plug 2 early Connor laptop hard drives into a
      Celeron 400 the other night, and got no results. Maybe they were bad :(.
      Not sure about the ram sticks. Probably simms, though early ones, and
      possibly even proprietary. The model 25 had proprietary ram sticks is
      my understanding.
      If you do plug an IDE drive in, and I suggest and older one, be sure
      and take notice of the connector's orientation. Most of the time, pin 1
      is labeled in white ink on the board, and this would correspond to the
      red stripe on your cable.
      Personally I don't recommend putting any kind of money or serious
      effort into a PS/2. Have some fun though by all means. A kewell find is
      a kewell find. There's always something to be learned. I like the Model
      25's though. The earlier peecees are more kewell, and truly vintage ;).
      I could probably find you something cheap at my "friend's" house in a
      couple of weeks if you're interested. Even if it wasn't true blue (and
      he's got those I believe) it's still older and more kewell.
    • Timothy J Fagan
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 15, 2009
        FWIW... I think this entire discussion shouldn't have been handled on the list at all.

        But that's just my take.

        Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:08 AM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] List

        I'll say this in public: I should have agreed with Andy four years ago when he argued for a list that we control instead of using Yahoo.