Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM Computer Identification and first computing job

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
      Joe,
      I worked as an intern at IBM when they launched the PS/2 and AS-400. The model 30, 50, and 80 were the first PS/2's (at least in Wilmington, Delaware).  The model 50 shipped with an optional "Windows 286", and the model 80 with an optional "Windows 386".  The default OS was IBM DOS 3.3.  Windows 286 and 386 were not seriously used.  Soon after came the model 25 (with Windows 1.04 Collegiate Kit) and the model 70, etc..

      The model 60 was part of the 2nd phase of the PS/2 line.
      Personally I count the model 25, 30, 50, and 80 "original versions" on the last cusp of "vintage computers" because they shipped with "vintage Windows OS's" (before Win 3.0)  I also used the first version of OS/2 on the model 80.  I remember opening the model 80 box with a bunch of people standing around and thinking that I had never seen anything like a model 80 before.  My first assignment was to compare a XEROX system running Page Maker with a model 80 running Windows 386 and Page Maker.  I had also never seen at the time a XEROX system....It was a good job for a college kid.

      Bill

      In a message dated 10/4/2005 7:23:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, starbase89@... writes:
      OK, I guess you could call my find a "vintage" computer. I found
      it...well, in a neighbor's garbage.  Its an old IBM tower, and I was
      wondering if anyone has some info on it. Thing must weigh 40 pounds, and
      has a handle on top. Front plate says "IBM, Personal System/2, Model 60.
      Inside, there is the motherboard and power supply. There is one card
      inside that has a DB9 port on the plate. Any help? I can post pictures
      if need be

      -Joe G

    • chrism3667
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
        > My first
        > assignment was to compare a XEROX system running Page Maker with a
        model 80
        > running Windows 386 and Page Maker. I had also never seen at the
        time a XEROX
        > system....It was a good job for a college kid.

        Dude, just what Xerox system are we talking here? Xerox had it's own
        desktop publishing software known as Venture Publisher. I got it
        somewhere too!
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          That was it, Venture Publisher. Probably the same system. Page Maker was a
          rip off of Venture Publisher. It had been so long I forgot. If you ever come
          across a spare xerox that runs Venture publisher I would like to see it or
          trade something for it.
          Bill

          In a message dated 10/5/2005 3:49:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          chrism3667@... writes:

          > Dude, just what Xerox system are we talking here? Xerox had it's own
          > desktop publishing software known as Venture Publisher. I got it
          > somewhere too!
        • chrism3667
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            Bill, I have the software, and manuals. If I ever managed to scan
            them, you can have all of it (the original disks are probably long in
            the trash, but I have images of them). My question was what Xerox
            computer were you referring to if you can recall.
          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
              I don't remember what Xerox it was. It would be neat to see one again, but I
              don't have a strong desire to own one, due to space. I seem to attract
              vintage computer stuff like flypaper. It's definitely time for another purge. I
              will put up a list soon, of give-away items.
              Bill

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                And unfortunately old-computers.com is down. Great site. I own 2 Xerox
                units, but neither is likely what you saw back then.
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                  chrism3667 wrote:

                  > And unfortunately old-computers.com is down. Great site. I own 2 Xerox
                  > units, but neither is likely what you saw back then.

                  No its not. The computer of the day is actually some kind of Xerox machine
                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                    that darned thing would be a find. I'd guess that's
                    just what Bill saw the publishing program running on.
                    One of the units I have is the successor to the
                    820-II, though it uses an 8088. In both cases, the
                    mainboard/motherboard is built into the monitor. The
                    "cpu" just holds the drives and whatnot. One of the
                    snazziest looking puters ;) I've ever seen. The
                    picture on the site doesn't do it justice.

                    > chrism3667 wrote:
                    >
                    > > And unfortunately old-computers.com is down. Great
                    > site. I own 2 Xerox
                    > > units, but neither is likely what you saw back
                    > then.
                    > >

                    > No its not. The computer of the day is actually some
                    > kind of Xerox machine

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                      billdeg@... wrote:
                      > That was it, Venture Publisher. Probably the same system. Page Maker was a
                      > rip off of Venture Publisher. It had been so long I forgot. If you ever come
                      > across a spare xerox that runs Venture publisher I would like to see it or
                      > trade something for it.

                      It's Ventur*A* Publisher. It was just distributed by Xerox. It was
                      written by Ventura Software. Eventually Ventura was bought out by
                      Corel. It's Corel's competitor to Adobe (formerly Aldus) Pagemaker.

                      Neither was a "rip-off" of the other. Ventura ran under GEM, and
                      Pagemaker ran under Windows 2.0. They came out at roughly the same time.

                      I don't believe it ever ran on Xerox machines. It ran on GEM under DOS.

                      I believe the Xerox machine you're talking about was the Xerox STAR
                      workstation. It ran a desktop publishing software package called Viewpoint.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
                        billdeg@... wrote:
                        > Joe,
                        > I worked as an intern at IBM when they launched the PS/2 and AS-400. The
                        > model 30, 50, and 80 were the first PS/2's (at least in Wilmington,
                        > Delaware). The model 50 shipped with an optional "Windows 286", and the
                        > model 80 with an optional "Windows 386". The default OS was IBM DOS
                        > 3.3. Windows 286 and 386 were not seriously used. Soon after came the
                        > model 25 (with Windows 1.04 Collegiate Kit) and the model 70, etc..

                        Actually the original machines (the ones to come out on April 2, 1987)
                        were the 30, 50, 60 and 80. The 25 came out that August, so it could be
                        considered part of the first "phase". I was waiting outside the store
                        on the morning of April 2, 1987 so I could buy my Model 50, which I
                        still have. I grew up in an IBM "company town".

                        The second "phase" more properly refers to the machines that came out on
                        June 2, 1988, the 50Z, the 70-386 and the 70-486. The third "phase"
                        included the 30-286, the 25-286, the 55SX and the P70 Portable.

                        Peace... Sridhar

                        > The model 60 was part of the 2nd phase of the PS/2 line.
                        > Personally I count the model 25, 30, 50, and 80 "original versions" on
                        > the last cusp of "vintage computers" because they shipped with "vintage
                        > Windows OS's" (before Win 3.0) I also used the first version of OS/2 on
                        > the model 80. I remember opening the model 80 box with a bunch of
                        > people standing around and thinking that I had never seen anything like
                        > a model 80 before. My first assignment was to compare a XEROX system
                        > running Page Maker with a model 80 running Windows 386 and Page Maker.
                        > I had also never seen at the time a XEROX system....It was a good job
                        > for a college kid.
                      • chrism3667
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                          <ploopster@g...> wrote:
                          > Ventura ran under GEM...

                          So you had to have Gem installed to utilize it? I was under the
                          impression the version I have simply ran under DOS, but that's all it
                          is, an impression.
                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                            chrism3667 wrote:
                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                            > <ploopster@g...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Ventura ran under GEM...
                            >

                            > So you had to have Gem installed to utilize it? I was under the
                            > impression the version I have simply ran under DOS, but that's all it
                            > is, an impression.

                            If you didn't have a copy of GEM installed, it would install an embedded
                            version for its own purposes.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • chrism3667
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                              <ploopster@g...> wrote:

                              > If you didn't have a copy of GEM installed, it would install an
                              embedded
                              > version for its own purposes.

                              Ah, ok. Grassyass.
                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                                chrism3667 wrote:
                                >>If you didn't have a copy of GEM installed, it would install an embedded
                                >>version for its own purposes.
                                >
                                > Ah, ok. Grassyass.

                                For that matter, Aldus Pagemaker would install an embedded version of
                                Windows 2.0.

                                Peace... Sridhar