Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM Computer Identification

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 5, 2005
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      > I opened it up. No drives. No RAM. Just power supply, mobo, and a card
      > in one of the MCA slots. When I attached monitor and booted, it came to
      > a black on yellow background, with a message "000000 FFFE 201" I assume
      > it has to do with the lack of RAM. I can't figure out what the card is

      201 is indeed a memory test failure. These codes are actually standardized.

      > for. Has Motorola and Oki chips on it. A DB-9 on the back plate. And for
      > the life of me, I can't figure ou why the damned thing has a handle.

      It has a handle, because when it's full of cards (heavy multilayer ones,
      probably) and drives, it is almost impossible to move otherwise. 8-)

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Timothy J Fagan
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 15, 2009
        FWIW... I think this entire discussion shouldn't have been handled on the list at all.

        But that's just my take.

        Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:08 AM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] List

        I'll say this in public: I should have agreed with Andy four years ago when he argued for a list that we control instead of using Yahoo.