Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM Computer Identification

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 4, 2005
      John Allain wrote:

      > 1987. 10Mhz 80286. room for 2 full sized ESDI drives.
      > Much like a PC, but with a MicroChannel bus instead
      > (not compatible with ISA or PCI bus cards).
      > About $2000 when it was new. The first year that
      > the PS/2 mouse&keyboard, and VGA video ports
      > debuted.
      > Not easy to find if you had to find one but probably a
      > million were made.

      I opened it up. No drives. No RAM. Just power supply, mobo, and a card
      in one of the MCA slots. When I attached monitor and booted, it came to
      a black on yellow background, with a message "000000 FFFE 201" I assume
      it has to do with the lack of RAM. I can't figure out what the card is
      for. Has Motorola and Oki chips on it. A DB-9 on the back plate. And for
      the life of me, I can't figure ou why the damned thing has a handle.

      -Joe
    • Timothy J Fagan
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 15, 2009
        FWIW... I think this entire discussion shouldn't have been handled on the list at all.

        But that's just my take.

        Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:08 AM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] List

        I'll say this in public: I should have agreed with Andy four years ago when he argued for a list that we control instead of using Yahoo.