Re: [midatlanticretro] Fractals...

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2009
      bryan.pope@... wrote:

      Hello everyone, long time no email...
      I just watched this show earlier tonight:  Hunting the Hidden Dimension
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/fractals/
      IMHO the first half will appeal to any vintage computer nerd since Benoit Mandelbrot worked at IBM in the 70's and fractals were big on our micros in the 80s.  I remember watching the Mandelbrot set slowly draw on my Amiga line by line.. :-)

      nice to hear from you again Bryan.

      I've been amazed at this ever since it came out in the late 70's. Several of us would stand around the DecWriter terminal and watch it print one line at a time, --slowly-- but we didn't care it took forever, even with the iteration count set to the lowest which is just a display of the basic outline :)
      I always wished I had a system back then that could fit on my desk that was fast enough to calculate the Mandelbrot fractals. The closest thing I had in the mid-80's  was a 21 slot VME chassis with a couple of 68000 cards -- it ran perfectly- it was kinda big, but it still fit on my desk - on top of the hutch. I wish I still had that.

      =Dan