Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP11 stuff available

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
      I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
      because of it's limited address space.

      Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
      multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

      There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
      GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

      There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
      virtual memory).

      RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
      software was legally transferred with the hardware.

      It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
      where time permits.

      I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
      to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

      They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
      the PDP 11/73.

      A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
      eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
      was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

      Bill

    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
        Yes that was me.  I am willing to take a look at the system first.  I also really want to get up there and clean, organize, and inventory what is there now.  It kills me that there are systems not properly protected.
        Bill D

        In a message dated 10/3/2005 10:00:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, infomagic@... writes:
        In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
        it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
        name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
        about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
        defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

      • William Pechter
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
          The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

          I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

          Bill
          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

          > to see
          > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
          >
          > Aye, matey!
          >
          > _____

          =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
          > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

          +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
          > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

          2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
          > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
          > Computer

          2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
          > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
          >
          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

          > Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > _____

        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
            I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
            question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
            running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
            think operating systems, which employ alot of low
            level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
            in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
            code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
            Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
            his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
            know what computer system he was referring to -
            obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
            completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
            stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
            this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
            For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
            down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
            system principles. It served as the primary
            inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
            UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

            --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

            > The only info I have is how to install it on an
            > 11/70.
            >
            > I'll do some checking with the author for further
            > info.
            >
            > Bill

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
              > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
              > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
              > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

              Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
              answers from highly technical people. Simple.

              John A.
            • chrism3667
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                wrote:
                > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                >
                > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                >
                > John A.
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                  John Allain wrote:
                  > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                  > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                  > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                  Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                  answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                  John A.

                  Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                  -Joe
                • chrism3667
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                    <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                    > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                    ph
                    > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                    >
                    > -Joe

                    Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                    It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                      chrism3667 wrote:

                      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                      > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                      > ph
                      > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                      > >
                      > > -Joe
                      >
                      > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                      > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                      Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                        I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                        up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                        Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                        any rules.

                        John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                        To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                        "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                        If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                        I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                        other.

                        - Evan

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"