Bugs

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
      I remember when I worked on an IBM mainframe the asterisk character was
      called a bug. [ * ]

      Today most people say "star"

      bd
    • Timothy J Fagan

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
          I remember when I worked on an IBM mainframe the asterisk character was
          called a bug. [ * ]

          Today most people say "star"

          bd

          In the Air Force they called it Splat.
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
            When I learned BASIC back in the 1970's, the teacher called it a splat.  For what
            it's worth, Wikipedia agrees:

            The pound sign was (and still is in some circles) called a hash.