RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP11 stuff available

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
      Aye, matey!

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
        I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
        because of it's limited address space.

        Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
        multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

        There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
        GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

        There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
        virtual memory).

        RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
        software was legally transferred with the hardware.

        It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
        where time permits.

        I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
        to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

        They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
        the PDP 11/73.

        A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
        eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
        was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

        Bill

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
          Yes that was me.  I am willing to take a look at the system first.  I also really want to get up there and clean, organize, and inventory what is there now.  It kills me that there are systems not properly protected.
          Bill D

          In a message dated 10/3/2005 10:00:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, infomagic@... writes:
          In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
          it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
          name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
          about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
          defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
            The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

            I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

            Bill
            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > to see
            > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
            >
            > Aye, matey!
            >
            > _____

            =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
            > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

            +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
            > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

            2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
            > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
            > Computer

            2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
            > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
            >
            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

            > Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > _____

          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
              I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
              question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
              running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
              think operating systems, which employ alot of low
              level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
              in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
              code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
              Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
              his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
              know what computer system he was referring to -
              obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
              completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
              stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
              this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
              For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
              down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
              system principles. It served as the primary
              inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
              UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

              --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

              > The only info I have is how to install it on an
              > 11/70.
              >
              > I'll do some checking with the author for further
              > info.
              >
              > Bill

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • John Allain
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                John A.
              • chrism3667
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                  If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                  abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                  I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                  > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                  > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                  >
                  > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                  > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                  >
                  > John A.
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                    John Allain wrote:
                    > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                    > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                    > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                    Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                    answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                    John A.

                    Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                    -Joe
                  • chrism3667
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                      <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                      > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                      ph
                      > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                      >
                      > -Joe

                      Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                      It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                        chrism3667 wrote:

                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                        > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                        > ph
                        > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                        > >
                        > > -Joe
                        >
                        > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                        > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                        Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                          I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                          up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                          Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                          any rules.

                          John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                          To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                          "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                          If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                          I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                          other.

                          - Evan

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"