Re: [midatlanticretro] slashdot re-writing history

  • Ian King
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
      Re: [midatlanticretro] slashdot re-writing history Follow the thread: it’s the underlying “H Plus” site that made this claim.  They were firmly corrected by several folks.  :-)

      It was interesting just how hard some of them were still working to cast Microsoft as a ‘bad guy’ in the story, but in fact Microsoft purchased QDOS from Seattle Computer Products, dotted some I’s and crossed some t’s, and sold it to IBM for their new PC (IBM promptly rebranding it, although the v2.0 manual’s cover sheet prominently states, “By Microsoft Corporation”).  When other vendors got into the game, Microsoft had retained the right to sell MS-DOS to them, too.  -- Ian

      On 9/1/09 10:20 PM, "Joe Giliberti" <Starbase89@...> wrote:

      I didn't think that PCs got their start via reverse engineered Microsoft DOS put on computers with 8080 processors...

      http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/09/01/235205/Space-Shuttle-To-Be-Replaced-By-SpaceX-For-ISS-Resupply

    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
        Gleaned from PC Magazine "DOS Power Tools" Paul Somerson 1988.
        The PC was always an 8088.  Gates even wondered why, in 1980 when it
        was introduced, IBM did not use the 8086 with its sixteen bit bus versus
        the eight bit bus of the 8088.
        It was in late 1980 that IBM approached Bill Gates to write the operating
        system which would be MSDOS1.0.
        As the 8088 and 8086 were introduced in 1978, seems that what was more
        probable is that the IBM engineers started by breadboarding 8080's and may
        have reversed engineered an IMSAI 8080 and the real reason they ran with
        the 8088 is that they were not ready to deal with the greater bus capability
        of the 8086 in a meaningful way.
        Bill Gates had bought for $50,000 rights to Tim Patterson's 86-DOS and
        that was what would be reverse engineered to become the operating system
        in the PC.  As the name says, the operating system was designed for an 8086,
        not an 8088.
        On a different note, what are the specifics on cassette player and cassette needed
        to run with the cassette basic program on the ROM of the PC?  I've got the
        item in my closet, it worked when I last played with it but I've always been
        curious about that function that wasn't carried on to later machines.
        bs

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
          The seeming inconsistencies between my post and Ian's can be resolved as
          follows.  Tim Patterson worked for Seattle Computer Products and QDOS
          became 86-DOS after some tweaks.
          bs