Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP11 stuff available

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
      Bill,

      I'm hoping that the museum can use both machines as a live, interactive part
      of the exhibits. One as primary and the other as developement/backup. What I
      envision would be an interactive catalog with information about the museum
      exhibits that visitors could use via appropriately vintage terminals. BSD
      would be a good choice for an OS as it would allow use of more current
      software like My SQL. The key here is the "green screen" experience. Would
      you be willing to help make this work?

      Jim

    • john_apw
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
        Yes, the reasons I've gotten involved are:
        1. to avoid all this stuff going to the dumpster,
        2. to obtain as much as I can for the museum,
        3. to help out those who would not be able to make the drive.

        The fellow said he has other stuff not on the list, which he is also
        willing to let me carry away. He mentioned 14" monitors with RS170
        video - doesn't mean much to me, but he said they are particularly
        suited to instrumentation devices... Anyway, I'll take them too,
        assuming that if we can't use them, InfoAge might...???

        Another item we discussed is of particular interest to me, and if
        it's in working condition, I'll probably play with it for a few
        months before giving it to the museum (along with my stuff).

        In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
        it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
        name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
        about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
        defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

        As I stated a few times now, I'm trying to help people out (and the
        museum), not to grab stuff for myself. I know there are a few people
        who can't travel this far north conveniently, and I happen to have
        some time and it's not too far. The last thing I want is for there
        to be a problem with who gets what. So far, everyone on this list
        has been helpful and generous, and I want it to stay that way.
        Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten involved.

        So, let me load the car (probably next week sometime), take
        inventory, and give you a full report.

        Thanks for your cooperation,
        -John M. (in Montclair)

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>
        wrote:
        > If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
        > suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
        > it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
        > with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
        > take virtually anything. Parts could always be
        > scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
        > vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
        > now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
        > And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
        > would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
        > dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
        >
        > --- William Pechter <bpechter@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?
        > >
        > > I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >
        > > --- Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John.
        > > If
        > > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes
        > > with
        > > > it, I'd appreciate it.

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
          Aye, matey!

          wrote:

          > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me
          John.
          > If
          > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else
          comes
          > with
          > > it, I'd appreciate it.
          > >
          > > --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Evan and all,
          > > >
          > > > I've been in touch
          with the fellow, and will be
          > able
          > > > to arrange a
          > > > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the
          > > > museum would want.
          > > >
          > > > Also, for anyone in
          south NJ, I can be a relay
          > > > station to shorten
          > > > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we
          > can
          > > > arrange a
          > > > pickup from here.
          > > >
          > > > -John
          > > > Montclair, NJ
          > > > 973 220-0221
          cell

          <djg@p...>
          Pearl River New York has the
          > following
          > > > equipment
          > > > available.
          can ship if nobody
          > > > offers pickup.

          (protecting
          > > > email from
          > > > harvesting).
          > > > otherwise I will post
          > > > later

          to wider distribution lists.

          PDP Micro 11/73
          Design Floppy Drive - an RX02
          > > > look alike
          printers - these were the
          > printers
          > > > that produced
          > > > IBM

          LA120
          > > > equivalent
          Controller
          interface
          > on
          > > > the back that
          > > > allows
          one

          memory
          > > > typewriter.
          documentation for these
          > devices
          > > > as well and I
          > > > may have
          not yet
          > dug
          > > > out.
          > > >

          > > __________________________________
          > > Yahoo! Mail - PC
          Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

          href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
            I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
            because of it's limited address space.

            Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
            multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

            There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
            GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

            There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
            virtual memory).

            RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
            software was legally transferred with the hardware.

            It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
            where time permits.

            I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
            to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

            They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
            the PDP 11/73.

            A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
            eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
            was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

            Bill

          • billdeg@aol.com

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

                I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

                Bill
                --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                > to see
                > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                >
                > Aye, matey!
                >
                > _____

                =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
                > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

                +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
                > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

                2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
                > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
                > Computer

                2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
                > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
                >
                > _____
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                > Service
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > _____

              • Chris M
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                  I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                  question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                  running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                  think operating systems, which employ alot of low
                  level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
                  in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
                  code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
                  Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
                  his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
                  know what computer system he was referring to -
                  obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
                  completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
                  stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
                  this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
                  For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
                  down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
                  system principles. It served as the primary
                  inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
                  UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

                  --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                  > The only info I have is how to install it on an
                  > 11/70.
                  >
                  > I'll do some checking with the author for further
                  > info.
                  >
                  > Bill

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • John Allain
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                    > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                    > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                    > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                    Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                    answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                    John A.
                  • chrism3667
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                      If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                      abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                      I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                      wrote:
                      > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                      > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                      > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                      >
                      > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                      > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                      >
                      > John A.
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                        John Allain wrote:
                        > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                        > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                        > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                        Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                        answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                        John A.

                        Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                        -Joe
                      • chrism3667
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                          <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                          > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                          ph
                          > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                          >
                          > -Joe

                          Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                          It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                        • Joe Giliberti
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                            chrism3667 wrote:

                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                            > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                            > ph
                            > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                            > >
                            > > -Joe
                            >
                            > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                            > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                            Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                              I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                              up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                              Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                              any rules.

                              John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                              To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                              "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                              If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                              I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                              other.

                              - Evan

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"