slashdot re-writing history

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      I didn't think that PCs got their start via reverse engineered Microsoft DOS put on computers with 8080 processors...

      http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/09/01/235205/Space-Shuttle-To-Be-Replaced-By-SpaceX-For-ISS-Resupply
    • Ian King
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
        Re: [midatlanticretro] slashdot re-writing history Follow the thread: it’s the underlying “H Plus” site that made this claim.  They were firmly corrected by several folks.  :-)

        It was interesting just how hard some of them were still working to cast Microsoft as a ‘bad guy’ in the story, but in fact Microsoft purchased QDOS from Seattle Computer Products, dotted some I’s and crossed some t’s, and sold it to IBM for their new PC (IBM promptly rebranding it, although the v2.0 manual’s cover sheet prominently states, “By Microsoft Corporation”).  When other vendors got into the game, Microsoft had retained the right to sell MS-DOS to them, too.  -- Ian

        On 9/1/09 10:20 PM, "Joe Giliberti" <Starbase89@...> wrote:

        I didn't think that PCs got their start via reverse engineered Microsoft DOS put on computers with 8080 processors...

        http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/09/01/235205/Space-Shuttle-To-Be-Replaced-By-SpaceX-For-ISS-Resupply

      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
          Gleaned from PC Magazine "DOS Power Tools" Paul Somerson 1988.
          The PC was always an 8088.  Gates even wondered why, in 1980 when it
          was introduced, IBM did not use the 8086 with its sixteen bit bus versus
          the eight bit bus of the 8088.
          It was in late 1980 that IBM approached Bill Gates to write the operating
          system which would be MSDOS1.0.
          As the 8088 and 8086 were introduced in 1978, seems that what was more
          probable is that the IBM engineers started by breadboarding 8080's and may
          have reversed engineered an IMSAI 8080 and the real reason they ran with
          the 8088 is that they were not ready to deal with the greater bus capability
          of the 8086 in a meaningful way.
          Bill Gates had bought for $50,000 rights to Tim Patterson's 86-DOS and
          that was what would be reverse engineered to become the operating system
          in the PC.  As the name says, the operating system was designed for an 8086,
          not an 8088.
          On a different note, what are the specifics on cassette player and cassette needed
          to run with the cassette basic program on the ROM of the PC?  I've got the
          item in my closet, it worked when I last played with it but I've always been
          curious about that function that wasn't carried on to later machines.
          bs

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
            The seeming inconsistencies between my post and Ian's can be resolved as
            follows.  Tim Patterson worked for Seattle Computer Products and QDOS
            became 86-DOS after some tweaks.
            bs