Re: [midatlanticretro] newbie computers

  • David Collins
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
      Evan wrote:
      Hello Mindless Automation... haven't seen your email address here before, so hello and welcome to our group!

      Tell us about yourself.

      - Evan K., MARCH prez
      Oops.. sorry about that.  Didn't realize I was set to use my bbs email address.  Anyhow, I picked up
      on this group from a post from CHLUG (http://www.chlug.org)  I guess I don't currently own anything
      (according to the FAQ) that is vintage except maybe an IBM PS/2 (just because its different than
      your ordinary Intel-type except it has Win95 on it :o.)  Maybe the old PowerMac 6100/66 could be,
      its got the extra special PDS slots.. or it can use a Apple/DOS compatibility card and run DOS!
      Maybe not vintage, but unusual I guess.  I had a stack of C64's, but I gave them all away when I
      moved out east.

      I started on Apple IIe & Mac Plus I guess.. Worked on TSR80s.. Commodores were big with my friends
      and I due to the abundance of games.. never really got into console game systems.  Mostly work on
      Windows machines now.

      As in the previous post, I have no problem dumpster diving for interesting hardware..

      -dave

    • chrism3667
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Collins
        <collinsd75@c...> wrote:

        > As in the previous post, I have no problem dumpster diving for
        > interesting hardware..

        A man after my own heart. I was actually going to suggest a "weekend
        dive" as a group outing. Of course it's tough to find one vintage
        puter sitting somewhere on the wayside, much less a whole skip full,
        so newer stuph would be the order of the day (or wee hours of the
        night rather). But it's in line with the hacker spirit, and a great
        way for gooroos to bond too!
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2005
          Cool, thanks for sharing your story.