Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF 6.0 Cards

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
      > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

      Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
      memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
      back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
      processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
      We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
      difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
      working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
      them.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
        On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

        > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
        > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

        Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
        should push this too far.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
          Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

          I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

          --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

          Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
          memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
          back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
          processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
          We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
          difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
          working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
          them.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
          Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
            Christian Liendo wrote:
            Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

            Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

            With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

            This is always nostalgic

            What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

            =Dan