Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF 6.0 Cards

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
      Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
      I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
        > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

        Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
        memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
        back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
        processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
        We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
        difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
        working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
        them.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
          On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

          > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
          > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

          Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
          should push this too far.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
            Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

            I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

            --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

            Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
            memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
            back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
            processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
            We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
            difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
            working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
            them.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
            Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
              Christian Liendo wrote:
              Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

              Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

              With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

              This is always nostalgic

              What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

              =Dan