Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP11 stuff available

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
      Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?

      I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.

      Bill

    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
        If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
        suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
        it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
        with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
        take virtually anything. Parts could always be
        scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
        vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
        now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
        And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
        would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
        dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
          Bill,

          I'm hoping that the museum can use both machines as a live, interactive part
          of the exhibits. One as primary and the other as developement/backup. What I
          envision would be an interactive catalog with information about the museum
          exhibits that visitors could use via appropriately vintage terminals. BSD
          would be a good choice for an OS as it would allow use of more current
          software like My SQL. The key here is the "green screen" experience. Would
          you be willing to help make this work?

          Jim

        • john_apw
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
            Yes, the reasons I've gotten involved are:
            1. to avoid all this stuff going to the dumpster,
            2. to obtain as much as I can for the museum,
            3. to help out those who would not be able to make the drive.

            The fellow said he has other stuff not on the list, which he is also
            willing to let me carry away. He mentioned 14" monitors with RS170
            video - doesn't mean much to me, but he said they are particularly
            suited to instrumentation devices... Anyway, I'll take them too,
            assuming that if we can't use them, InfoAge might...???

            Another item we discussed is of particular interest to me, and if
            it's in working condition, I'll probably play with it for a few
            months before giving it to the museum (along with my stuff).

            In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
            it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
            name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
            about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
            defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

            As I stated a few times now, I'm trying to help people out (and the
            museum), not to grab stuff for myself. I know there are a few people
            who can't travel this far north conveniently, and I happen to have
            some time and it's not too far. The last thing I want is for there
            to be a problem with who gets what. So far, everyone on this list
            has been helpful and generous, and I want it to stay that way.
            Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten involved.

            So, let me load the car (probably next week sometime), take
            inventory, and give you a full report.

            Thanks for your cooperation,
            -John M. (in Montclair)

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>
            wrote:
            > If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
            > suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
            > it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
            > with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
            > take virtually anything. Parts could always be
            > scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
            > vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
            > now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
            > And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
            > would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
            > dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
            >
            > --- William Pechter <bpechter@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?
            > >
            > > I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >
            > > --- Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John.
            > > If
            > > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes
            > > with
            > > > it, I'd appreciate it.

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
              Aye, matey!

              wrote:

              > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me
              John.
              > If
              > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else
              comes
              > with
              > > it, I'd appreciate it.
              > >
              > > --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Evan and all,
              > > >
              > > > I've been in touch
              with the fellow, and will be
              > able
              > > > to arrange a
              > > > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the
              > > > museum would want.
              > > >
              > > > Also, for anyone in
              south NJ, I can be a relay
              > > > station to shorten
              > > > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we
              > can
              > > > arrange a
              > > > pickup from here.
              > > >
              > > > -John
              > > > Montclair, NJ
              > > > 973 220-0221
              cell

              <djg@p...>
              Pearl River New York has the
              > following
              > > > equipment
              > > > available.
              can ship if nobody
              > > > offers pickup.

              (protecting
              > > > email from
              > > > harvesting).
              > > > otherwise I will post
              > > > later

              to wider distribution lists.

              PDP Micro 11/73
              Design Floppy Drive - an RX02
              > > > look alike
              printers - these were the
              > printers
              > > > that produced
              > > > IBM

              LA120
              > > > equivalent
              Controller
              interface
              > on
              > > > the back that
              > > > allows
              one

              memory
              > > > typewriter.
              documentation for these
              > devices
              > > > as well and I
              > > > may have
              not yet
              > dug
              > > > out.
              > > >

              > > __________________________________
              > > Yahoo! Mail - PC
              Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

              href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • William Pechter
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
                because of it's limited address space.

                Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
                multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

                There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
                GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

                There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
                virtual memory).

                RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
                software was legally transferred with the hardware.

                It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
                where time permits.

                I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
                to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

                They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
                the PDP 11/73.

                A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
                eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
                was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

                Bill

              • billdeg@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                    The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

                    I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

                    Bill
                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > to see
                    > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                    >
                    > Aye, matey!
                    >
                    > _____

                    =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
                    > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

                    +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
                    > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

                    2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
                    > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
                    > Computer

                    2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
                    > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >

                    > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                    > Service
                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Chris M
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                      I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                      question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                      running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                      think operating systems, which employ alot of low
                      level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
                      in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
                      code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
                      Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
                      his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
                      know what computer system he was referring to -
                      obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
                      completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
                      stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
                      this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
                      For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
                      down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
                      system principles. It served as the primary
                      inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
                      UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

                      --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                      > The only info I have is how to install it on an
                      > 11/70.
                      >
                      > I'll do some checking with the author for further
                      > info.
                      >
                      > Bill

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • John Allain
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                        > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                        > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                        > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                        Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                        answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                        John A.
                      • chrism3667
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                          If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                          abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                          I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                          wrote:
                          > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                          > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                          > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                          >
                          > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                          > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                          >
                          > John A.
                        • Joe Giliberti
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                            John Allain wrote:
                            > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                            > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                            > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                            Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                            answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                            John A.

                            Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                            -Joe
                          • chrism3667
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                              <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                              > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                              ph
                              > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                              >
                              > -Joe

                              Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                              It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                            • Joe Giliberti
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                chrism3667 wrote:

                                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                > ph
                                > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                > >
                                > > -Joe
                                >
                                > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                                Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                                  up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                                  Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                                  any rules.

                                  John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                                  To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                                  "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                                  If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                                  I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                                  other.

                                  - Evan

                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"