Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF 6.0 Cards

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
      Growing up with a PC is not the issue. I appreciate the importance of punch cards. However, to the average event goer, I would think it would appear as a piece of paper with a clever means of writing on it, without anything to do with the subject matter.

      On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

      Joe Giliberti wrote:

      > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

      Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
      FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
      But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
      find it worth much.

      Mark

    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1 5:47 AM
        Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
        I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@ptdprolog. net> wrote:

        Joe Giliberti wrote:

        > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

        Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
        FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
        But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
        find it worth much.

        Mark

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1 5:52 AM
          > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

          Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
          memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
          back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
          processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
          We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
          difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
          working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
          them.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1 6:12 AM
            On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

            > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
            > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

            Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
            should push this too far.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1 6:13 AM
              Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

              I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

              --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

              Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
              memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
              back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
              processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
              We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
              difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
              working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
              them.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
              Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2 4:49 AM
                Christian Liendo wrote:
                Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

                Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

                With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

                This is always nostalgic

                What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

                =Dan