Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF 6.0 Cards

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31 9:45 PM
      Joe Giliberti wrote:

      > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

      Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
      FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
      But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
      find it worth much.

      Mark
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 31 10:13 PM
        Growing up with a PC is not the issue. I appreciate the importance of punch cards. However, to the average event goer, I would think it would appear as a piece of paper with a clever means of writing on it, without anything to do with the subject matter.

        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

        Joe Giliberti wrote:

        > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

        Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
        FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
        But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
        find it worth much.

        Mark

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
          Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
          I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

          On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@ptdprolog. net> wrote:

          Joe Giliberti wrote:

          > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

          Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
          FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
          But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
          find it worth much.

          Mark

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
            > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

            Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
            memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
            back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
            processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
            We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
            difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
            working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
            them.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
              On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

              > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
              > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

              Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
              should push this too far.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

                I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

                --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                them.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                  Christian Liendo wrote:
                  Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

                  Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

                  With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

                  This is always nostalgic

                  What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

                  =Dan