Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF 6.0 Cards

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
      Mike generously agreed to provide MARCH with a large amount of these
      cards. Exhibitors will get them for free. We'll sell cards to
      attendees as a low-priced ($1) VCF souvenir, and put any extra in the
      museum.

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        Mike generously agreed to provide MARCH with a large amount of these
        cards.  Exhibitors will get them for free.  We'll sell cards to
        attendees as a low-priced ($1) VCF souvenir, and put any extra in the
        museum.

             The VCF 2009 punch cards are ready.  :-)

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast2009Card.jpg

        I still have 2008 on my bulletin board.
      • Joe Giliberti

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
            I very strongly disagree.

            A punched card is special, and typical VCF attendees will be thrilled to see ultra-affordable event souvenirs.   I predict these will be a big hit and we'll sell a zillion of them.  Bill D. just said he's still got one hanging in his office.  My former boss -- a woman who's NOT a computer geek -- was ecstatic when I gave her one.

            Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

          • madodel
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
              Joe Giliberti wrote:

              > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

              Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
              FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
              But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
              find it worth much.

              Mark
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                Growing up with a PC is not the issue. I appreciate the importance of punch cards. However, to the average event goer, I would think it would appear as a piece of paper with a clever means of writing on it, without anything to do with the subject matter.

                On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

                Joe Giliberti wrote:

                > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
                FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
                But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
                find it worth much.

                Mark

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
                  I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

                  On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@ptdprolog. net> wrote:

                  Joe Giliberti wrote:

                  > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                  Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
                  FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
                  But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
                  find it worth much.

                  Mark

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                    > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                    Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                    memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                    back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                    processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                    We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                    difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                    working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                    them.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                      On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

                      > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
                      > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

                      Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
                      should push this too far.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                        Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

                        I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

                        --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                        Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                        memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                        back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                        processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                        We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                        difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                        working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                        them.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                        Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                          Christian Liendo wrote:
                          Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

                          Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

                          With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

                          This is always nostalgic

                          What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

                          =Dan