Re: [midatlanticretro] museum today

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2009
      I forgot to mention that we also had a lot of visitors today. All
      adults, all seemed interested and impressed.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
        Andy and I were at the museum today. We were extremely busy with
        visitors for the first few hours. One group was quite memorable --
        parents and three children -- I'm guessing the children were 14, 10, and
        8. The younger two were girls and they were amazed by BASIC. We showed
        them a simple program (10 print "hello name" .... 20 goto 10). They
        realized "name" could be anything they want so they started writing in
        text-speak and seeing it appear on the screen. Then we showed them
        for/next and character strings. They took to it as quickly as I
        remember doing at the same age. An hour later they were back -- I guess
        they saw the rest of the museum and decided our exhibit is the coolest.
        They wrote some more programs and eventually the parents had to tell
        them it's time to go. If they return we'll show them if/then
        statements. :)

        That group, and a few others, all asked if they can bring their schools
        / classes .... of course! I gave some of the kids souvenir VCF punched
        cards. Hopefully their math teachers are old enough to remember.

        Great day all around, and grateful Andy was there as we had many
        overlapping visitor groups.
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
          Glad to hear that things are busy. Usually that means that there is another non-MARCH (InfoAge) event going on somewhere on campus. Was that the case today ?  On busy days like this, it is best to have two people giving the tour, because often you will be showing one group in the first room, while in the fourth room another group shows up that you don't know about yet.

          It's good to hear another example of kids being interest in BASIC. I once had a kid type in a sample program from the Commodore User Guide. A "bouncing" character program. He loved it. It's great to get kids with interest and be able to demonstrate and teach them some simple programming. Generally it's hard to get most visitors interested, much less children. It's greater that they came back for a second look. It's even better that the parents had to drag them away !  Also good that they will tell their friends about it. Super job guys !

          Where they from the local area ?

          I assume that they did this on the C64, you can also add some simple color commands to spice things up. Sound would be a bit trickier.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
            One of the volunteer groups, Blossom International (blossominternational.org), is having an ongoing donations drive for underprivileged kids.  It's every weekend in Feb. and March (I think) .... that's the main reason we have been so busy lately.  The group is not science-related but they joined InfoAge last year and have quickly become good citizens here.  I'm sure there will be a permanent effect even after their event ends because people tell friends about us, etc.

            Or maybe this particular family happened to visit on their own.  I don't know; didn't ask.

            Their kids were on several computers but mostly on the TRS-80.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
              Speaking of schools/classes, I'm going to try to get some hype for a tour of InfoAge at my school. High school students aren't as "cute" as little kids, but I know a couple of people who would be interested in seeing what MARCH and InfoAge has to offer. My physics teacher actually used to work with Dr. Kronenberg at the Army Dosimetry Laboratory at Camp Evans.

              I'll contact you personally after I talk to my school's administrators, Evan.

              Thanks!
              -Matt

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
                That's great. Our exhibits are better suited for teens than younger
                children anyhow.

                We should introduce your teacher to Fred, who loves hearing from people
                who worked here.

                > Speaking of schools/classes, I'm going to try to get some hype for a tour of InfoAge at my school. High school students aren't as "cute" as little kids, but I know a couple of people who would be interested in seeing what MARCH and InfoAge has to offer. My physics teacher actually used to work with Dr. Kronenberg at the Army Dosimetry Laboratory at Camp Evans.
                >
                > I'll contact you personally after I talk to my school's administrators, Evan.
                >
                > Thanks!
                > -Matt
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
                  Yes, went I was there a few weeks ago. The same event was going on and I got a lot of visitors. It gets me excited to have visitors that you can teach a little BASIC too. Maybe that is the teacher in me, but also to share an interest of mine. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I would like to get versed on doing BASIC on all of the microcomputers that we have there. I didn't even know that the TRS-80 was setup for BASIC. Any chance we can get the Apple or IBM or even the Mac to be able to do basic ?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
                    Apple II, TRS-80, and Commodore PET all have BASIC built-in.

                    After move to H-building space, we could have a whole exhibit of Logo, BASIC, Smalltalk, etc.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
                      They all run BASIC natively, except the MAC.  Most are the same exact version of MS BASIC, or at least they all contain the same subset of core commands.

                      bd

                      Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                      <snip> Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I would like to get versed on doing BASIC on all of the microcomputers that we have there. I didn't even know that the TRS-80 was setup for BASIC. Any chance we can get the Apple or IBM or even the Mac to be able to do basic ?
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2011
                        Me, Jeff B., and Jeff J. worked on more inventorying today. After a
                        while we took a break from that and started re-organizing our fifth
                        museum exhibit room. We put aside some items to move into the
                        H-building. Next week, we'll do still more inventorying, and more
                        clearing in that exhibit room. We want to put an actual exhibit in
                        there (not just storage) in time for VCF. It will probably be the
                        "Computing in New Jersey" exhibit similar to what we had in there a
                        couple of years ago. We dismantled that exhibit post-VCF last time
                        because we had run out of storage space in the H-building. Now, we have
                        zounds more space at our disposal, so that's not a problem.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 19, 2012
                          In addition to testing the DECmate IIs, we had around 20 visitors today!
                          Adults, kids, and all very interested. New MARCHin Corey C. also
                          visited, and he joined IXR too. Jeff(s) B./J. also sorted more books.

                          So it was a very busy day. The best kind!

                          One of these months/years, we'll have this many visitors every weekend.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 19, 2012
                            Good to hear.
                            Bill Degnan