Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Scope Clock

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 30, 2009
      Mike Loewen wrote:
      > I was cleaning up some half-finished projects this afternoon, and got
      > my Scope Clock up and running:
      >

      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-1.jpg
      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-2.jpg
      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-3.jpg

      very interesting.
    • Barry L. Kline
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        > I was cleaning up some half-finished projects this afternoon, and got
        > my Scope Clock up and running:
        >
        > http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Basic.htm

        And I thought my PC motherboard with a clock movement in it was cool...

        Barry
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
            Nice!

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
              Mike generously agreed to provide MARCH with a large amount of these
              cards. Exhibitors will get them for free. We'll sell cards to
              attendees as a low-priced ($1) VCF souvenir, and put any extra in the
              museum.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                Mike generously agreed to provide MARCH with a large amount of these
                cards.  Exhibitors will get them for free.  We'll sell cards to
                attendees as a low-priced ($1) VCF souvenir, and put any extra in the
                museum.

                     The VCF 2009 punch cards are ready.  :-)

                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast2009Card.jpg

                I still have 2008 on my bulletin board.
              • Joe Giliberti

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                    I very strongly disagree.

                    A punched card is special, and typical VCF attendees will be thrilled to see ultra-affordable event souvenirs.   I predict these will be a big hit and we'll sell a zillion of them.  Bill D. just said he's still got one hanging in his office.  My former boss -- a woman who's NOT a computer geek -- was ecstatic when I gave her one.

                    Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                  • madodel
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                      Joe Giliberti wrote:

                      > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                      Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
                      FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
                      But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
                      find it worth much.

                      Mark
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                        Growing up with a PC is not the issue. I appreciate the importance of punch cards. However, to the average event goer, I would think it would appear as a piece of paper with a clever means of writing on it, without anything to do with the subject matter.

                        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

                        Joe Giliberti wrote:

                        > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                        Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
                        FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
                        But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
                        find it worth much.

                        Mark

                      • Christian Liendo
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                          Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
                          I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                            > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                            Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                            memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                            back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                            processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                            We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                            difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                            working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                            them.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                              On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

                              > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
                              > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

                              Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
                              should push this too far.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Christian Liendo
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                                Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

                                I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

                                --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                                Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                                memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                                back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                                processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                                We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                                difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                                working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                                them.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                                Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                                  Christian Liendo wrote:
                                  Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

                                  Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

                                  With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

                                  This is always nostalgic

                                  What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

                                  =Dan