VCF flier update

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2009
      All,

      As of now, please use http://www.vintage.org/2009/east/vcfe6.pdf to
      distribute the VCF flier, instead of the location on my personal site
      (http://www.snarc.net/vcfe6.pdf) ... thanks.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 30, 2009
        I was cleaning up some half-finished projects this afternoon, and got
        my Scope Clock up and running:

        http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Basic.htm

        It's a rather neat toy which displays a clock on your oscilloscope or
        X/Y display. I got it running first on my Tektronix 485B scope, then
        hooked it up to my larger Tektronix 608 X/Y monitor.

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-1.jpg
        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-2.jpg
        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-3.jpg

        You can buy the Basic kit for $27.95 (when they're in stock) from
        SparkFun Electronics:

        http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8922

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 30, 2009
          Mike Loewen wrote:
          > I was cleaning up some half-finished projects this afternoon, and got
          > my Scope Clock up and running:
          >

          > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-1.jpg
          > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-2.jpg
          > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/ScopeClock-3.jpg

          very interesting.
        • Barry L. Kline
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
            Mike Loewen wrote:
            > I was cleaning up some half-finished projects this afternoon, and got
            > my Scope Clock up and running:
            >
            > http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Basic.htm

            And I thought my PC motherboard with a clock movement in it was cool...

            Barry
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                Nice!

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                  Mike generously agreed to provide MARCH with a large amount of these
                  cards. Exhibitors will get them for free. We'll sell cards to
                  attendees as a low-priced ($1) VCF souvenir, and put any extra in the
                  museum.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    Mike generously agreed to provide MARCH with a large amount of these
                    cards.  Exhibitors will get them for free.  We'll sell cards to
                    attendees as a low-priced ($1) VCF souvenir, and put any extra in the
                    museum.

                         The VCF 2009 punch cards are ready.  :-)

                    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast2009Card.jpg

                    I still have 2008 on my bulletin board.
                  • Joe Giliberti

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                        I very strongly disagree.

                        A punched card is special, and typical VCF attendees will be thrilled to see ultra-affordable event souvenirs.   I predict these will be a big hit and we'll sell a zillion of them.  Bill D. just said he's still got one hanging in his office.  My former boss -- a woman who's NOT a computer geek -- was ecstatic when I gave her one.

                        Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                      • madodel
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                          Joe Giliberti wrote:

                          > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                          Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
                          FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
                          But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
                          find it worth much.

                          Mark
                        • Joe Giliberti
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 31, 2009
                            Growing up with a PC is not the issue. I appreciate the importance of punch cards. However, to the average event goer, I would think it would appear as a piece of paper with a clever means of writing on it, without anything to do with the subject matter.

                            On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

                            Joe Giliberti wrote:

                            > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                            Well I wish I had saved some of the decks of cards I used to program in
                            FORTRAN several decades ago. It would be neat to have a few as a souvenir.
                            But I could understand that someone that grew up using only PCs might not
                            find it worth much.

                            Mark

                          • Christian Liendo
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                              Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
                              I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                                > Even $1 seems pricey for what most people will see as a piece of paper

                                Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                                memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                                back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                                processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                                We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                                difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                                working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                                them.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                                  On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

                                  > Anyway we can do people's names onsite?
                                  > I think people would spend $$$ on a personalized punch card.

                                  Only if we can get the museum's 029 in working order. I don't think we
                                  should push this too far.

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • Christian Liendo
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
                                    Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection.

                                    I would buy one that had my name on it, because that makes it more personal to me, also I would be more likely to buy ones for friends because I would think "hmmm maybe my friend John would like one"

                                    --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                                    Many of us who learned to program in the punched card days have fond
                                    memories of cards and keypunches, even though none of us would ever go
                                    back to that method. :-) The card represents a lengthy era of data
                                    processing history, even though it's being presented as a display hack.
                                    We all used to do these at one time or another. Finding cards is not too
                                    difficult (small batches are always available on Ebay), but how many
                                    working keypunches are still around? I suspect the old timers will love
                                    them.

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                                    Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                                      Christian Liendo wrote:
                                      Yes, but there are many of us who haven't and don't have that connection

                                      Don't mean to interject here, but one other thing that makes a festival is having something where you can sell pictures of something, such as, ASCII Art.

                                      With just a PC , printer and internet connection to access the ascii artwork online(or download beforehand) you can sell them for a couple of bucks each. There's even a website that will convert gif's, jpg's into ascii pictures.

                                      This is always nostalgic

                                      What's even better is ascii artwork t-shirts :)

                                      =Dan