Banner program source code

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
      Does anyone know of a source version of a good ascii banner program?

      The built in one for Tandy Xenix doesn't support "landscape" banners.

      I have K&R C and Basic available. Google searches just seem to turn up references to banner ads.

      Thanks,
      Kelly
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
        On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a source version of a good ascii banner program?
        >
        > The built in one for Tandy Xenix doesn't support "landscape" banners.
        >
        > I have K&R C and Basic available. Google searches just seem to turn up references to banner ads.

        I wrote one for generic Unix, but I'm not sure what will have to be
        done to get it to compile under K&R C. I used getopt() which might not
        be available for Xenix of that vintage. You're welcome to strip out
        what's not needed to get it to compile (sent under separte cover).

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
          Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
          > Does anyone know of a source version of a good ascii banner program?
          >
          > The built in one for Tandy Xenix doesn't support "landscape" banners.
          >
          > I have K&R C and Basic available. Google searches just seem to turn up references to banner ads.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Kelly

          Reminds me of the time I tried to make a web site for a person who sells
          bookmarks, the kind you put in books. Not an easy search term to
          promote on the search engines!

          I don't have anything for Tandy XENIX that I know of, but I will check.

          Bill
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
            On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Mike Loewen wrote
            > I wrote one for generic Unix, but I'm not sure what will have to be
            > done to get it to compile under K&R C. I used getopt() which might not
            > be available for Xenix of that vintage. You're welcome to strip out
            > what's not needed to get it to compile (sent under separte cover).

            I just checked. getopt is supported. I also looked at the source. Should be easy to get into K&R.
            voids to int, etc

            By the way, nice program. Simple and elegant in what it does.
            Kelly
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
              On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

              > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Mike Loewen wrote
              >> I wrote one for generic Unix, but I'm not sure what will have to be
              >> done to get it to compile under K&R C. I used getopt() which might not
              >> be available for Xenix of that vintage. You're welcome to strip out
              >> what's not needed to get it to compile (sent under separte cover).
              >
              > I just checked. getopt is supported. I also looked at the source. Should be easy to get into K&R.
              > voids to int, etc
              >
              > By the way, nice program. Simple and elegant in what it does.

              Thanks. I was faced with the same problem you were. I found a couple
              of ancient banner printing programs, but nothing did exactly what I wanted
              so I recreated the wheel. I need to add a bold (overstrike) option to it.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2009
                I have an Apple IIe with a Duodisk drive and cable, and monochrome
                monitor available for trade. This is the un-enhanced version with the
                6502 CPU, as opposed to the 65C02 in the enhanced IIe. It was working as
                of last Fall. I can bring it to VCF East.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...