Re: [midatlanticretro] how to use a null modem

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2009
      Joe,

      Serial file transfer cables are plentiful on eBay. A Belkin cable with
      both DB9 and DB25 plugs on both ends is $4 plus $10 shipping (a bit high).

      This is better - a "Laplink" parallel cable:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Foot-DB25-Male-to-DB25-Male-LapLink-Cable-PCM-2650-08_W0QQitemZ270447655673QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters

      The Omnibook 425 has a DB9 serial and DB25 parallel. All dedicated file
      transfer programs like LapLink will use either and a parallel cable will
      be *much* faster. IIRC, the 425 has Laplink built in. I don't have time
      to fire mine up to check, but you should be able to find it if it's on
      the ROM card. It may be ll.exe.

      But the easiest option is to use a flash card to sneakernet files back
      and forth. While a fullsize PCCard (PCMCIA) memory card will be hard to
      find, an adapter for a CF card should be easy to find. This one popped
      up for an overpriced $27 including shipping. You could even use a CF
      card as a much larger replacement hard drive.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/Socket-Communications-AC4000-514-PCCARD-ADAPTER-CF-COMP_W0QQitemZ270312018470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Memory_Cards

      One more option is infrared. There is an IR port on the 425. If you have
      another laptop with an IR port, it may be possible to transfer files
      wirelessly, but IR was always difficult to use.

      As just about everyone has pointed out, you need a similar program on
      both ends to make any cable actually move bits.

      Jim

      Joe Giliberti wrote:

      > I want to use a null modem cable to get files onto an HP Omnibook with
      > DOS/Win 3.11 from an Win XP system. I have googled, to no avail. I grew
      > up in the USB era. Enlighten my ignorance, please

    • brian_cirulnick
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2009
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

        > Joe,
        >
        > Serial file transfer cables are plentiful on eBay. A Belkin cable with
        > both DB9 and DB25 plugs on both ends is $4 plus $10 shipping (a bit high).

        I usually zip everything I want to xfer into a single big file (or many small files if I don't have the space for a big file), and then load in PROCOMM on both sides, null modem, 9600 N81, and zmodem xfer and walk away 'till it's done.

        From my days of doing Linux installs over null modem I have lots of adapters for that...

        http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/serial/