Re: [midatlanticretro] if anyone's interested in the AT & T UNIX PC

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      Chris,

      I thought those things were cool when they were new, but they run a 68000
      chip so you should stay away. AT&T also had a portable version that I'd
      really like to find, although that product may have never reached the market.
      If you know of a UNIX PC available at my favorite price (including software,
      of course), please, please, please let me know. Another interesting machine
      would be an IBM RT/PC, which ran AIX on an early RISC chip.

      These machines come from the time when many industry pundits thought UNIX
      would succeed DOS as the preferred OS for business PCs.

      Jim

      --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

      > It's not a PEECEE in the typical sense. Check out this
      > link:
      > http://unixpc.taronga.com/
      > there seems to be alot of junk on there. Good thing,
      > all my disks are bad :(
      >

      > __________________________________
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        > Chris,
        >
        > I thought those things were cool when they were new,
        > but they run a 68000
        > chip so you should stay away...

        The reason being that it'll meet with a violent
        demise once I found out it didn't have an 8088? Or do
        I sense a hint of anti-Mac/Moto/AtariST/Amiga bigotry?

        Don't hate man :(

        > Another interesting machine
        > would be an IBM RT/PC, which ran AIX on an early
        > RISC chip.These machines come from the time when
        > many industry pundits thought UNIX
        > would succeed DOS as the preferred OS for business
        > PCs.

        Yeah was RISCy business wasn't it? You certainly
        would have experienced some AIX if you had been
        involved in that debacle LOL LOL. Microshaft was in
        the UNIX business at one point (and in fact still is
        trying to emasculate every other vendor on the
        planet). They long for those days of course, and is
        currently working on their very own LINUX DISTRO!
        Beggorah. Bill is contempating naming it Micros-UX LOL
        LOL LOL. Alright, I plagiarized. Saw the cartoon in
        the latest Linux Format.
        A very influential group of us are still looking for
        various versions of Xenix. ANY platform would be
        welcome. The original Micros-UX ;)

        http://mail.yahoo.com