Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP11 stuff available

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
      John,

      One of the things I'd like to do down the road when we actually have a
      museum, is to set up a catalog of the collection on display with information
      on each item. This would be accessible to the public using terminals. It
      would be really cool if this system was running on something vintage - like a
      PDP 11/73. This would be a way to bring the collection to life in a way that
      is meaningful to the visitors.

      Now if we were to actually implment this, we would be spares of everything,
      so the museum could use just about everything on the list that is not already
      claimed. There is space to store this stuff at InfoAge, so let's get whatever
      we can.

      Jim

      --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:

      > Evan and all,
      >
      > I've been in touch with the fellow, and will be able to arrange a
      > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the museum would want.
      >
      > Also, for anyone in south NJ, I can be a relay station to shorten
      > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we can arrange a
      > pickup from here.
      >
      > -John
      > Montclair, NJ
      > 973 220-0221 cell
      > 973 746-9535 business
      >

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@p...>
      > wrote:
      > > Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment
      > available.
      > > He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.
      > >
      > > Email pdp11stuff@p... to contact him (protecting email from
      > harvesting).
      > > If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post
      > later
      > > to wider distribution lists.
      > >
      > > Two PDP Micro 11/73
      > > One Dec Professional 350
      > > One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
      > > One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
      > > One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
      > > Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced
      > IBM
      > > typewriter quality output
      > > Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
      > > One 874 Power Controller
      > > One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that
      > allows one
      > > of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
      > > I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I
      > may have
      > > one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.

    • William Pechter
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
        Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?

        I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.

        Bill

      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
          If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
          suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
          it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
          with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
          take virtually anything. Parts could always be
          scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
          vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
          now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
          And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
          would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
          dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
            Bill,

            I'm hoping that the museum can use both machines as a live, interactive part
            of the exhibits. One as primary and the other as developement/backup. What I
            envision would be an interactive catalog with information about the museum
            exhibits that visitors could use via appropriately vintage terminals. BSD
            would be a good choice for an OS as it would allow use of more current
            software like My SQL. The key here is the "green screen" experience. Would
            you be willing to help make this work?

            Jim

          • john_apw
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
              Yes, the reasons I've gotten involved are:
              1. to avoid all this stuff going to the dumpster,
              2. to obtain as much as I can for the museum,
              3. to help out those who would not be able to make the drive.

              The fellow said he has other stuff not on the list, which he is also
              willing to let me carry away. He mentioned 14" monitors with RS170
              video - doesn't mean much to me, but he said they are particularly
              suited to instrumentation devices... Anyway, I'll take them too,
              assuming that if we can't use them, InfoAge might...???

              Another item we discussed is of particular interest to me, and if
              it's in working condition, I'll probably play with it for a few
              months before giving it to the museum (along with my stuff).

              In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
              it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
              name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
              about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
              defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

              As I stated a few times now, I'm trying to help people out (and the
              museum), not to grab stuff for myself. I know there are a few people
              who can't travel this far north conveniently, and I happen to have
              some time and it's not too far. The last thing I want is for there
              to be a problem with who gets what. So far, everyone on this list
              has been helpful and generous, and I want it to stay that way.
              Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten involved.

              So, let me load the car (probably next week sometime), take
              inventory, and give you a full report.

              Thanks for your cooperation,
              -John M. (in Montclair)

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>
              wrote:
              > If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
              > suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
              > it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
              > with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
              > take virtually anything. Parts could always be
              > scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
              > vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
              > now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
              > And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
              > would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
              > dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
              >
              > --- William Pechter <bpechter@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?
              > >
              > > I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.
              > >
              > > Bill
              > >
              > > --- Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John.
              > > If
              > > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes
              > > with
              > > > it, I'd appreciate it.

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                Aye, matey!

                wrote:

                > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me
                John.
                > If
                > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else
                comes
                > with
                > > it, I'd appreciate it.
                > >
                > > --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Evan and all,
                > > >
                > > > I've been in touch
                with the fellow, and will be
                > able
                > > > to arrange a
                > > > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the
                > > > museum would want.
                > > >
                > > > Also, for anyone in
                south NJ, I can be a relay
                > > > station to shorten
                > > > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we
                > can
                > > > arrange a
                > > > pickup from here.
                > > >
                > > > -John
                > > > Montclair, NJ
                > > > 973 220-0221
                cell

                <djg@p...>
                Pearl River New York has the
                > following
                > > > equipment
                > > > available.
                can ship if nobody
                > > > offers pickup.

                (protecting
                > > > email from
                > > > harvesting).
                > > > otherwise I will post
                > > > later

                to wider distribution lists.

                PDP Micro 11/73
                Design Floppy Drive - an RX02
                > > > look alike
                printers - these were the
                > printers
                > > > that produced
                > > > IBM

                LA120
                > > > equivalent
                Controller
                > on
                > > > the back that
                > > > allows
                one

                memory
                > > > typewriter.
                documentation for these
                > devices
                > > > as well and I
                > > > may have
                > dug
                > > > out.
                > > >

                > > __________________________________
                > > Yahoo! Mail - PC
                Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

                href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • William Pechter
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                  I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
                  because of it's limited address space.

                  Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
                  multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

                  There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
                  GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

                  There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
                  virtual memory).

                  RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
                  software was legally transferred with the hardware.

                  It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
                  where time permits.

                  I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
                  to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

                  They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
                  the PDP 11/73.

                  A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
                  eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
                  was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

                  Bill

                • billdeg@aol.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                      The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

                      I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

                      Bill
                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                      > to see
                      > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                      >
                      > Aye, matey!
                      >
                      > _____

                      =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
                      > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

                      +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
                      > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

                      2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
                      > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
                      > Computer

                      2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
                      > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >

                      > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                      > Service
                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      >

                      > _____

                    • Chris M
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                        I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                        question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                        running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                        think operating systems, which employ alot of low
                        level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
                        in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
                        code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
                        Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
                        his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
                        know what computer system he was referring to -
                        obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
                        completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
                        stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
                        this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
                        For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
                        down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
                        system principles. It served as the primary
                        inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
                        UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

                        --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                        > The only info I have is how to install it on an
                        > 11/70.
                        >
                        > I'll do some checking with the author for further
                        > info.
                        >
                        > Bill

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • John Allain
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                          > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                          > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                          > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                          Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                          answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                          John A.
                        • chrism3667
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                            If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                            abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                            I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                            wrote:
                            > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                            > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                            > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                            >
                            > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                            > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                            >
                            > John A.
                          • Joe Giliberti
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                              John Allain wrote:
                              > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                              > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                              > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                              Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                              answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                              John A.

                              Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                              -Joe
                            • chrism3667
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                                > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                ph
                                > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                >
                                > -Joe

                                Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                              • Joe Giliberti
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  chrism3667 wrote:

                                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                  > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                  > ph
                                  > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                  > >
                                  > > -Joe
                                  >
                                  > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                  > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                                  Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                                    up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                                    Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                                    any rules.

                                    John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                                    To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                                    "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                                    If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                                    I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                                    other.

                                    - Evan

                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"