Re: [midatlanticretro] Q-Link

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
      Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I miss the
      comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading messages
      using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...

      Oh for the good old days!

      BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try http://freeshell.org/. A
      limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you get more
      complete shell account functionality for life.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
          In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
          "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
          Oh well!

          ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
          freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

          Jim

          --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

          > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I miss
          > the
          > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading messages
          > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
          >
          > Oh for the good old days!
          >
          > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try http://freeshell.org/. A
          > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you get more
          > complete shell account functionality for life.
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --- billdeg@... wrote:
          >
          > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial in
          > > directly, that'd be even better.
          > > Bill

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
            Jim Scheef wrote:
            > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
            > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
            > Oh well!
            >
            > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
            > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

            Why is freeshell.org a vintage experience? I still use a shell to do
            most of my work, both at home *and at work*. I use a shell to make my
            living.

            Calling it vintage is calling the CLI outdated is calling UNIX outdated.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • William Pechter
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
              There's a few old CIS users out here who miss it tonight and new the
              end of computing as we know it occurred not with Windows/DOS but with
              the AOL buyout of the CIS name.

              Here's to MNET11 8-)

              --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat
              > in
              > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong
              > button.
              > Oh well!
              >
              > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services,
              > and
              > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I
              > miss
              > > the
              > > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading
              > messages
              > > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
              > >
              > > Oh for the good old days!
              > >
              > > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try
              > http://freeshell.org/. A
              > > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you
              > get more
              > > complete shell account functionality for life.
              > >
              > > Jim
              > >
              > > --- billdeg@... wrote:
              > >
              > > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial
              > in
              > > > directly, that'd be even better.
              > > > Bill

            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                I've got to agree with this.  What's retro about a command line interface?  I've got
                multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work.  Is that site "vintage" because of
                the machines they use?

                Bob

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                  Bob Applegate wrote:
                  > I've got to agree with this. What's retro about a command line
                  > interface? I've got
                  > multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work. Is that site "vintage"
                  > because of
                  > the machines they use?

                  They use Alphaservers running NetBSD. Those aren't vintage either.

                  They do run a good service, though.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
                    Bob and Sridhar,

                    Well, the **IX command line interface is "retro" (as opposed to "vintage")
                    because that's where it all started. If you use it today, it's not because
                    you MUST, but because you want to. "User Friendly is what you know." I use
                    the command shell in Windows XP when it suits my needs, but I don't try to
                    configure the Windows DHCP server using the command line. It can be done, but
                    why would I want to when it's so much easier and faster to use the GUI? Of
                    course on Linux one has no choice but to edit the config files using vi or
                    the editor dujour.

                    CompuServe still exists (sort of) but the old ASCII interface to the fora is
                    gone. Even the Wizop tools are gone. I will probably not need my copy of
                    TapCIS anytime soon.

                    Jim