Going to 8Static Tonight - need a VCF flyer

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
      The 8Static event is tonight, I will be playing theremin and working on
      some chip music projects as is possible there, just to check things out.

      If you're interested in going tonight I will be there from 4PM until ??
      4522 Baltimore Ave., Philadelphia, PA "Studio 34" is on the 2nd floor
      above the restaurant.
      http://8static.com/events/

      Someone please send me the VCF E Flyer so I can print and give out at
      the show. I need it by 3PM. I assume it's somewhere on snarc.net and I
      can grab it there, but save me the trouble and the needless hacking into
      Evan's hosting account :-)

      Bill
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
        Sent to you via text msg just now.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009

          > Someone please send me the VCF E Flyer so I can print and give out at
          > the show. I need it by 3PM. I assume it's somewhere on snarc.net and I
          > can grab it there, but save me the trouble and the needless hacking into
          > Evan's hosting account :-)
          >
          > Bill

          got it.
        • Dan Roganti

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009

              I guess I should've checked the website first

              There is one
              http://8static.com/webcast/

              =Dan

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
                Try 8static.com it's there.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 23, 2009
                  How was the web cast?

                  This is quite a music genre.  You folks better get ready for a very interesting VCF E music event.  It's a combo of DJ and composition using 8-bit Gameboys (z80), plus all kinds of add on devices for manipulating the sound, and broadening the spectrum (sub woofer output, etc.).

                  I did a presentation of analog music with tape loop equipment, the theremin, etc.  What they all have now as add-on programs that can simply be downloaded.  I demoed the original equipment, and showed how it worked.  There is some cross over between the 8-bit people and vintage, but not as much as I would think.  This is a totally new thing.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 23, 2009
                    B Degnan wrote:
                    How was the web cast?

                    The event was great.
                    I wish I could be there.

                    The broadcast as mostly dark--couldn't see the people on stage that much-- except for the video projector. They could use some help with the lighting.

                    Apparently, nobody was controlling the camera, they could have zoomed closer to the stage more often to see the band up close.

                    =Dan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 24, 2009
                      Dan Roganti wrote:
                      B Degnan wrote:
                      How was the web cast?

                      The event was great.
                      I wish I could be there.

                      The broadcast as mostly dark--couldn't see the people on stage that much-- except for the video projector. They could use some help with the lighting.

                      Apparently, nobody was controlling the camera, they could have zoomed closer to the stage more often to see the band up close.

                      =Dan
                      The event was more like a rave than anything else anyway.  I tried to film some of it too, same effect very dark.  It was like a night club.
                      Bill
                    • rabb_5m
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 24, 2009
                        Just getting back to the forums here. I've condensed my replies below..

                        Evan, didn't mean to confuse.. I personally will be there all weekend. I'll need to talk to the other 8Static folks. I'll be happy to man the table on Sunday, but I can't speak for everyone leaving their equipment with me. As these are active performers, they may need their oldies-but-goodies for development or other performances on Sunday. I'll see what we can do and let you know.

                        In either case, I will be there through Sunday night (personally) & bring what I have and use, and any extra Hacktory/8 Static info we can muster. As to the COSMAC -- I've not been able to afford one, so I have been straddling my work between a mid-conversion RCA Studio II, a recent attempt to build a VIP clone from scratch, and a VIP emulator that I've designed on a single microcontroller ( includes emulation of the 1861 Pixie video chip). This and an 8086 will likely be my core tools for the performance. The other folks use a range of Commodore64, Gameboy (z80) Sega (68000) and NES (also 6502) equipment. Not quite as old as you may be used to, but interesting machines non-the-less.
                        We will also have a lot of information on the specific sound chips used in these machines.

                        Bill, it was a pleasure meeting you at 8Static! I won't be at VCF Friday night, but will be around Saturday and Sunday.

                        To all, -- sorry for the weak video stream. This is running from a laptop camera so zooming and good lighting are not an option. 8Static can sometimes be like a Euro-dance party and quite a fun way to get the younger set excited about these earlier technologies. As Bill mentioned, the performers are often a lot more like DJs than musicians. The two who will be at VCF are truly live-musicians first. Very complex sounds coming out of these machines, and a lot different than our guest from Sweden (Covox)who performed on Saturday night on 2 gameboys.

                        Very excited about the upcoming festival! First, I have a show in NYC this weekend, so better get back to coding!
                        See you soon,
                        -Wil Lindsay