Re: PDP11 stuff available

  • john_apw
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
      Yes, he mentioned that he had that for you.

      No problem with getting it and holding it for you.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
        John,

        One of the things I'd like to do down the road when we actually have a
        museum, is to set up a catalog of the collection on display with information
        on each item. This would be accessible to the public using terminals. It
        would be really cool if this system was running on something vintage - like a
        PDP 11/73. This would be a way to bring the collection to life in a way that
        is meaningful to the visitors.

        Now if we were to actually implment this, we would be spares of everything,
        so the museum could use just about everything on the list that is not already
        claimed. There is space to store this stuff at InfoAge, so let's get whatever
        we can.

        Jim

        --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:

        > Evan and all,
        >
        > I've been in touch with the fellow, and will be able to arrange a
        > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the museum would want.
        >
        > Also, for anyone in south NJ, I can be a relay station to shorten
        > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we can arrange a
        > pickup from here.
        >
        > -John
        > Montclair, NJ
        > 973 220-0221 cell
        > 973 746-9535 business
        >

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@p...>
        > wrote:
        > > Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment
        > available.
        > > He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.
        > >
        > > Email pdp11stuff@p... to contact him (protecting email from
        > harvesting).
        > > If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post
        > later
        > > to wider distribution lists.
        > >
        > > Two PDP Micro 11/73
        > > One Dec Professional 350
        > > One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
        > > One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
        > > One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
        > > Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced
        > IBM
        > > typewriter quality output
        > > Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
        > > One 874 Power Controller
        > > One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that
        > allows one
        > > of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
        > > I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I
        > may have
        > > one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.

      • William Pechter
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
          Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?

          I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.

          Bill

        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
            If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
            suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
            it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
            with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
            take virtually anything. Parts could always be
            scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
            vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
            now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
            And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
            would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
            dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
              Bill,

              I'm hoping that the museum can use both machines as a live, interactive part
              of the exhibits. One as primary and the other as developement/backup. What I
              envision would be an interactive catalog with information about the museum
              exhibits that visitors could use via appropriately vintage terminals. BSD
              would be a good choice for an OS as it would allow use of more current
              software like My SQL. The key here is the "green screen" experience. Would
              you be willing to help make this work?

              Jim

            • john_apw
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                Yes, the reasons I've gotten involved are:
                1. to avoid all this stuff going to the dumpster,
                2. to obtain as much as I can for the museum,
                3. to help out those who would not be able to make the drive.

                The fellow said he has other stuff not on the list, which he is also
                willing to let me carry away. He mentioned 14" monitors with RS170
                video - doesn't mean much to me, but he said they are particularly
                suited to instrumentation devices... Anyway, I'll take them too,
                assuming that if we can't use them, InfoAge might...???

                Another item we discussed is of particular interest to me, and if
                it's in working condition, I'll probably play with it for a few
                months before giving it to the museum (along with my stuff).

                In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
                it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
                name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
                about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
                defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

                As I stated a few times now, I'm trying to help people out (and the
                museum), not to grab stuff for myself. I know there are a few people
                who can't travel this far north conveniently, and I happen to have
                some time and it's not too far. The last thing I want is for there
                to be a problem with who gets what. So far, everyone on this list
                has been helpful and generous, and I want it to stay that way.
                Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten involved.

                So, let me load the car (probably next week sometime), take
                inventory, and give you a full report.

                Thanks for your cooperation,
                -John M. (in Montclair)

                wrote:
                > If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
                > suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
                > it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
                > with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
                > take virtually anything. Parts could always be
                > scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
                > vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
                > now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
                > And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
                > would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
                > dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                >
                > --- William Pechter <bpechter@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?
                > >
                > > I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.
                > >
                > > Bill
                > >
                > > --- Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John.
                > > If
                > > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes
                > > with
                > > > it, I'd appreciate it.

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Aye, matey!

                  wrote:

                  > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me
                  John.
                  > If
                  > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else
                  comes
                  > with
                  > > it, I'd appreciate it.
                  > >
                  > > --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Evan and all,
                  > > >
                  > > > I've been in touch
                  with the fellow, and will be
                  > able
                  > > > to arrange a
                  > > > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the
                  > > > museum would want.
                  > > >
                  > > > Also, for anyone in
                  south NJ, I can be a relay
                  > > > station to shorten
                  > > > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we
                  > can
                  > > > arrange a
                  > > > pickup from here.
                  > > >
                  > > > -John
                  > > > Montclair, NJ
                  > > > 973 220-0221
                  cell

                  <djg@p...>
                  Pearl River New York has the
                  > following
                  > > > equipment
                  > > > available.
                  can ship if nobody
                  > > > offers pickup.

                  (protecting
                  > > > email from
                  > > > harvesting).
                  > > > otherwise I will post
                  > > > later

                  to wider distribution lists.

                  PDP Micro 11/73
                  Design Floppy Drive - an RX02
                  > > > look alike
                  printers - these were the
                  > printers
                  > > > that produced
                  > > > IBM

                  LA120
                  > > > equivalent
                  Controller
                  > on
                  > > > the back that
                  > > > allows
                  one

                  memory
                  > > > typewriter.
                  documentation for these
                  > devices
                  > > > as well and I
                  > > > may have
                  > dug
                  > > > out.
                  > > >

                  > > __________________________________
                  > > Yahoo! Mail - PC
                  Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

                  href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • William Pechter
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                    I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
                    because of it's limited address space.

                    Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
                    multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

                    There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
                    GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

                    There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
                    virtual memory).

                    RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
                    software was legally transferred with the hardware.

                    It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
                    where time permits.

                    I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
                    to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

                    They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
                    the PDP 11/73.

                    A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
                    eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
                    was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

                    Bill

                  • billdeg@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                        The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

                        I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

                        Bill
                        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                        > to see
                        > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                        >
                        > Aye, matey!
                        >
                        > _____

                        =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
                        > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

                        +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
                        > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

                        2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
                        > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
                        > Computer

                        2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
                        > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >

                        > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                        > Service
                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Chris M
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                          I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                          question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                          running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                          think operating systems, which employ alot of low
                          level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
                          in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
                          code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
                          Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
                          his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
                          know what computer system he was referring to -
                          obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
                          completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
                          stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
                          this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
                          For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
                          down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
                          system principles. It served as the primary
                          inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
                          UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

                          --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                          > The only info I have is how to install it on an
                          > 11/70.
                          >
                          > I'll do some checking with the author for further
                          > info.
                          >
                          > Bill

                          __________________________________
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • John Allain
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                            > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                            > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                            > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                            Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                            answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                            John A.
                          • chrism3667
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                              If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                              abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                              I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                              wrote:
                              > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                              > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                              > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                              >
                              > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                              > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                              >
                              > John A.
                            • Joe Giliberti
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                John Allain wrote:
                                > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                                Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                                answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                                John A.

                                Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                                -Joe
                              • chrism3667
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                  <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                                  > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                  ph
                                  > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                  >
                                  > -Joe

                                  Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                  It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                                • Joe Giliberti
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    chrism3667 wrote:

                                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                    > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                    > ph
                                    > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                    > >
                                    > > -Joe
                                    >
                                    > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                    > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                                    Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                      I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                                      up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                                      Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                                      any rules.

                                      John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                                      To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                                      "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                                      If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                                      I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                                      other.

                                      - Evan

                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"