PDF output on Classic Mac?

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 19, 2009
      PDF output on Classic Mac? All:

          A question for the Mac gurus. Is there a direct-to-PDF program for System 7? I have an SE/30 and I was wondering if it was worth searching for a LWII or trying to find a PDF “printer” driver and then save the PDF file to disk and move it to a PC for printing.

          Ideas?

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19, 2009
        Hi Rich:

        I don't think that the "print to PDF" feature came along until System
        9, maybe later. It could be that the "pro" version of Adobe Acrobat
        would permit printing to a PDF as a stand-alone app. I don't know
        that for sure, since I only ever had the Acrobat reader.

        73 de Ray

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 20, 2009
          I thought that there might have been a separate "PDF Printer" for OS 7 that
          someone wrote that I could use, like CUPS-PDF for OSX. I did some searching
          last night but nothing immediately popped-up.

          I'll keep looking.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 20, 2009
            Rich,

            Have you tried printing to a Postscript printer but capture the file,
            transfer that file to a PC or "modern" Mac, then run it thru Distiller.
            The Distiller program is part of Acrobat Pro and converts a Postscript
            file to a PDF. This has two disadvantages: it requires the transfer
            between machines and it is not free, but I believe it will work.

            Jim

            Richard A. Cini wrote:

            > I thought that there might have been a separate "PDF Printer" for OS 7
            > that
            > someone wrote that I could use, like CUPS-PDF for OSX. I did some
            > searching
            > last night but nothing immediately popped-up.
            >
            > I'll keep looking.
            >
            > On 8/19/09 9:42 PM, "Ray Sills" <raysills@...
            > <mailto:raysills%40comcast.net>> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Rich:
            > >
            > > I don't think that the "print to PDF" feature came along until System
            > > 9, maybe later. It could be that the "pro" version of Adobe Acrobat
            > > would permit printing to a PDF as a stand-alone app. I don't know
            > > that for sure, since I only ever had the Acrobat reader.
            > >
            > > 73 de Ray
            > >

            > > On Aug 19, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Richard A. Cini wrote:
            > >

            > >> All:
            > >>
            > >> A question for the Mac gurus. Is there a direct-to-PDF program
            > >> for System 7? I have an SE/30 and I was wondering if it was worth
            > >> searching for a LWII or trying to find a PDF ³printer² driver and
            > >> then save the PDF file to disk and move it to a PC for printing.
            > >>
            > >> Ideas?
            > >>
            > >> Rich
            > >>
            > >> --
            > >> Rich Cini
            > >> Collector of Classic Computers
            > >> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
            > >> http://www.altair32.com <http://www.altair32.com>
            > >> http://www.classiccmp.org/cini <http://www.classiccmp.org/cini>

            > Rich
            >
            > --
            > Rich Cini
            > Collector of Classic Computers
            > http://www.altair32.com <http://www.altair32.com>
            > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini <http://www.classiccmp.org/cini>

          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 20, 2009
              Rich,

              I asked a friend of mine who I knew in college at Drexel in 1991-1992. He was a font freak and had a Mac LC.  Anyway he suggested the same thing as Jim. Hope this helps.

              Jeff

              P.S. Although I'm primarily into Commodore stuff now. I will eventually get around to fiddling with my macs again. I had a Mac Se/30 in college and bought a few others that I had a mac technician fix: Mac SE, Se/30, LC III.

              Richard A. Cini wrote:

              > I thought that there might have been a separate "PDF Printer" for OS 7
              > that
              > someone wrote that I could use, like CUPS-PDF for OSX. I did some
              > searching
              > last night but nothing immediately popped-up.
              >
              > I'll keep looking.
              >
              > On 8/19/09 9:42 PM, "Ray Sills" <raysills@comcast. net
              > <mailto:raysills% 40comcast. net>> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Rich:
              > >
              > > I don't think that the "print to PDF" feature came along until System
              > > 9, maybe later. It could be that the "pro" version of Adobe Acrobat
              > > would permit printing to a PDF as a stand-alone app. I don't know
              > > that for sure, since I only ever had the Acrobat reader.
              > >
              > > 73 de Ray
              > >

              > > On Aug 19, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Richard A. Cini wrote:
              > >

              > >> All:
              > >>
              > >> A question for the Mac gurus. Is there a direct-to-PDF program
              > >> for System 7? I have an SE/30 and I was wondering if it was worth
              > >> searching for a LWII or trying to find a PDF ³printer² driver and
              > >> then save the PDF file to disk and move it to a PC for printing.
              > >>
              > >> Ideas?
              > >>
              > >> Rich
              > >>
              > >> --
              > >> Rich Cini
              > >> Collector of Classic Computers
              > >> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
              > >> http://www.altair32 .com <http://www.altair32 .com>
              > >> http://www.classicc mp.org/cini <http://www.classicc mp.org/cini>

              > Rich
              >
              > --
              > Rich Cini
              > Collector of Classic Computers
              > http://www.altair32 .com <http://www.altair32 .com>
              > http://www.classicc mp.org/cini <http://www.classicc mp.org/cini>

            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 21, 2009
                Okay, my wife is going to visit a sick friend at the rehab center just off Exit 105
                of the Garden State Parkway.  Is anybody going to be at the museum on Tuesday?
                I don't want to put anyone out but I susepct that I'm going to get very bored
                listening to them talk.
                bs

                .

              • Richard A. Cini

                  Richard A. Cini wrote:

                  > I  thought that there might have been a separate "PDF Printer" for OS 7
                  >  that
                  > someone wrote that I could use, like CUPS-PDF for OSX. I did some
                  > searching
                  > last night but nothing immediately  popped-up.
                  >
                  > I'll keep looking.
                  >
                  > On 8/19/09 9:42  PM, "Ray Sills" <raysills@... <mailto:raysills%40comcast.net>
                  >  <mailto:raysills%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                  >
                  >  > Hi Rich:
                  > >
                  > > I don't think that the "print to PDF"  feature came along until System
                  > > 9, maybe later. It could be that  the "pro" version of Adobe Acrobat
                  > > would permit printing to a PDF  as a stand-alone app. I don't know
                  > > that for sure, since I only  ever had the Acrobat reader.
                  > >
                  > > 73 de Ray
                  >  >
                  > >
                  > > On Aug 19, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Richard A. Cini  wrote:
                  > >

                  > >>  All:
                  > >>
                  > >> A question for the Mac gurus. Is there  a direct-to-PDF program
                  > >> for System 7? I have an SE/30 and I  was wondering if it was worth
                  > >> searching for a LWII or trying  to find a PDF “printer” driver and
                  > >> then save the PDF file to  disk and move it to a PC for printing.
                  > >>
                  > >>  Ideas?
                  > >>
                  > >> Rich

                  Rich

                  --
                  Rich Cini
                  Collector of Classic Computers
                  http://www.altair32.com
                  http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                • brian_cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 25, 2009
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...> wrote:

                    > I thought that there might have been a separate "PDF Printer" for OS 7 that
                    > someone wrote that I could use, like CUPS-PDF for OSX. I did some searching
                    > last night but nothing immediately popped-up.

                    Rich;

                    Dunno if this has been answered yet, I'm behind on messages...

                    I think it depends upon the application -- some, particularly Adobe products had a "print to disk" option that would save a postscript file. I know Pagemaker has it, and probably Illustrator.

                    You should be able to find a postscript to PDF converter. But that part of the process might not happen on the mac but on a Linux machine or Windows PC.
                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                      Last night, I pull out my H8 as I decide to play with it again.
                      It's not working and I wanted to look some more.

                      This time I check out the drives.. I pull it apart, make sure that the
                      proper voltage is coming from the power supply. Put it back together
                      and then turn it on..

                      POP!

                      The smoke all comes out, I run for the smoke detector to turn it off.
                      My poor cat is like what the heck?

                      I pull it all apart and find this on the middle drive

                      http://lh5.ggpht.com/_gUrHnv1nh-4/SpSrbSpXZzI/AAAAAAAAA4k/2PaQ8b3LGaY/s640/IMG_2539.JPG

                      Ahhhh.. I love the smell of burnt components in the evening.
                      My cat didn't..

                      It's all part of the hobby :D

                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                        Christian Liendo wrote:

                        > This time I check out the drives.. I pull it apart,
                        > make sure that the proper voltage is coming from the
                        > power supply. Put it back together and then turn it on..
                        >
                        > POP!
                        >
                        > The smoke all comes out, I run for the smoke detector to
                        > turn it off. My poor cat is like what the heck?
                        >
                        > Ahhhh.. I love the smell of burnt components in the evening.

                        Classic shorted through cap. The quantity of smoke you
                        describe is a little odd, but then so is the radial package
                        it was in. The more usual "teardrop" package gives a loud
                        bang and leaves you scratching your head because it just
                        "disappears" from the circuit board. You often have to hunt
                        around with a magnifying glass to find what's left of the
                        leads still soldered to the board.
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                          > > This time I check out the drives.. I pull it apart,
                          > > make sure that the proper voltage is coming from the
                          > > power supply. Put it back together and then turn it on..
                          > >
                          > > POP!
                          > >
                          > > The smoke all comes out, I run for the smoke detector to
                          > > turn it off. My poor cat is like what the heck?
                          > >
                          > > Ahhhh.. I love the smell of burnt components in the evening.

                          It's a tradition each year that someone's exhibit blows up - last year my
                          Apple III's capacitor started streaming smoke out of the back. Good times.

                          Who will it be this year?

                          Bill
                        • Mr Ian Primus
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                            --- On Wed, 8/26/09, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                            > It's a tradition each year that someone's exhibit blows up
                            > - last year my
                            > Apple III's capacitor started streaming smoke out of the
                            > back. Good times.
                            >

                            > Who will it be this year?
                            >
                            > Bill

                            It's definitely a tradition. Your burning Apple III Profile broke Andy's winning streak. The year before last, one of his Kaypro machines smoked. And the year before that, it was his Canon Cat AND the Apple IIe he brought.

                            -Ian
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                              On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

                              > It's definitely a tradition. Your burning Apple III Profile broke Andy's winning streak. The year before last, one of his Kaypro machines smoked. And the year before that, it was his Canon Cat AND the Apple IIe he brought.

                              My Dad's model airplane club gives an annual Crash and Burn award
                              (which he's won three times). Perhaps we should give a Smoke and Mirrors
                              award at VCF...

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Christian Liendo

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                                  >> It's a tradition each year that someone's exhibit blows up
                                  >> - last year my
                                  >> Apple III's capacitor started streaming smoke out of the
                                  >> back. Good times.
                                  >
                                  > It's definitely a tradition. Your burning Apple III Profile
                                  > broke Andy's winning streak. The year before last, one
                                  > of his Kaypro machines smoked. And the year before
                                  > that, it was his Canon Cat AND the Apple IIe he brought.

                                  In 2005 it was the power supply in my TRS-80 Model 12. POOF.

                                  Kelly <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=14379032/grpspId=1705566162/msgId=13987/stime=1251296928/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>