Re: PDP11 stuff available

  • john_apw
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
      Evan and all,

      I've been in touch with the fellow, and will be able to arrange a
      pickup. Please let me know which of the item the museum would want.

      Also, for anyone in south NJ, I can be a relay station to shorten
      your trip. Just let me know what you want and we can arrange a
      pickup from here.

      -John
      Montclair, NJ
      973 220-0221 cell
      973 746-9535 business

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@p...>
      wrote:
      > Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment
      available.
      > He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.
      >
      > Email pdp11stuff@p... to contact him (protecting email from
      harvesting).
      > If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post
      later
      > to wider distribution lists.
      >
      > Two PDP Micro 11/73
      > One Dec Professional 350
      > One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
      > One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
      > One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
      > Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced
      IBM
      > typewriter quality output
      > Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
      > One 874 Power Controller
      > One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that
      allows one
      > of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
      > I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I
      may have
      > one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
        he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John. If
        you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes with
        it, I'd appreciate it.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • john_apw
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
          Yes, he mentioned that he had that for you.

          No problem with getting it and holding it for you.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 30, 2005
            John,

            One of the things I'd like to do down the road when we actually have a
            museum, is to set up a catalog of the collection on display with information
            on each item. This would be accessible to the public using terminals. It
            would be really cool if this system was running on something vintage - like a
            PDP 11/73. This would be a way to bring the collection to life in a way that
            is meaningful to the visitors.

            Now if we were to actually implment this, we would be spares of everything,
            so the museum could use just about everything on the list that is not already
            claimed. There is space to store this stuff at InfoAge, so let's get whatever
            we can.

            Jim

            --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:

            > Evan and all,
            >
            > I've been in touch with the fellow, and will be able to arrange a
            > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the museum would want.
            >
            > Also, for anyone in south NJ, I can be a relay station to shorten
            > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we can arrange a
            > pickup from here.
            >
            > -John
            > Montclair, NJ
            > 973 220-0221 cell
            > 973 746-9535 business
            >

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@p...>
            > wrote:
            > > Somebody in Pearl River New York has the following equipment
            > available.
            > > He would prefer pickup but can ship if nobody offers pickup.
            > >
            > > Email pdp11stuff@p... to contact him (protecting email from
            > harvesting).
            > > If somebody is planning to take all email me otherwise I will post
            > later
            > > to wider distribution lists.
            > >
            > > Two PDP Micro 11/73
            > > One Dec Professional 350
            > > One TS05 magnetic Tape Drive
            > > One Data Systems Design Floppy Drive - an RX02 look alike
            > > One FACS Consort 40 - an OEM 11/04
            > > Two Diablo 1620 printers - these were the printers that produced
            > IBM
            > > typewriter quality output
            > > Two Texas Instruments Omni 800 printers - an LA120 equivalent
            > > One 874 Power Controller
            > > One VT100 terminal - has the special interface on the back that
            > allows one
            > > of the Diablo printers to be used like a memory typewriter.
            > > I have most or all documentation for these devices as well and I
            > may have
            > > one or two other miscellaneous items not yet dug out.

          • William Pechter
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
              Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?

              I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.

              Bill

            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
                suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
                it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
                with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
                take virtually anything. Parts could always be
                scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
                vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
                now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
                And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
                would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
                dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Bill,

                  I'm hoping that the museum can use both machines as a live, interactive part
                  of the exhibits. One as primary and the other as developement/backup. What I
                  envision would be an interactive catalog with information about the museum
                  exhibits that visitors could use via appropriately vintage terminals. BSD
                  would be a good choice for an OS as it would allow use of more current
                  software like My SQL. The key here is the "green screen" experience. Would
                  you be willing to help make this work?

                  Jim

                • john_apw
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Yes, the reasons I've gotten involved are:
                    1. to avoid all this stuff going to the dumpster,
                    2. to obtain as much as I can for the museum,
                    3. to help out those who would not be able to make the drive.

                    The fellow said he has other stuff not on the list, which he is also
                    willing to let me carry away. He mentioned 14" monitors with RS170
                    video - doesn't mean much to me, but he said they are particularly
                    suited to instrumentation devices... Anyway, I'll take them too,
                    assuming that if we can't use them, InfoAge might...???

                    Another item we discussed is of particular interest to me, and if
                    it's in working condition, I'll probably play with it for a few
                    months before giving it to the museum (along with my stuff).

                    In the meantime, John A. and someone from NJ/MD borderland --- was
                    it Bill D? I don't have my notes in front of me, sorry I forgot the
                    name momentarily --- have asked for 11/73s. Although I am curious
                    about them and would also like to play with one for awhile, I will
                    defer to the two who have already got experience with them.

                    As I stated a few times now, I'm trying to help people out (and the
                    museum), not to grab stuff for myself. I know there are a few people
                    who can't travel this far north conveniently, and I happen to have
                    some time and it's not too far. The last thing I want is for there
                    to be a problem with who gets what. So far, everyone on this list
                    has been helpful and generous, and I want it to stay that way.
                    Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten involved.

                    So, let me load the car (probably next week sometime), take
                    inventory, and give you a full report.

                    Thanks for your cooperation,
                    -John M. (in Montclair)

                    wrote:
                    > If you're going to be picking up any of it John, I
                    > suggest you take all that you can for the museum, if
                    > it's physically possible. Don't mean to load you down
                    > with work (or PDP-11's!), it just seems a waste not to
                    > take virtually anything. Parts could always be
                    > scrounged. If I had the time, or moreover a sound
                    > vehicle, I'd help out, but that's not the case right
                    > now unfortunately. Just a suggestion.
                    > And I'm hereby nominating Bill P. as the head of the
                    > would love to see BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73
                    > dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                    >
                    > --- William Pechter <bpechter@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Has anyone expressed interst in the Micro11/73's?
                    > >
                    > > I'd love to see 2.11 BSD up on one.
                    > >
                    > > Bill
                    > >
                    > > --- Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me John.
                    > > If
                    > > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else comes
                    > > with
                    > > > it, I'd appreciate it.

                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Aye, matey!

                      wrote:

                      > > he's supposedly holding the Pro 350 for me
                      John.
                      > If
                      > > you want to pick that up, and whatever else
                      comes
                      > with
                      > > it, I'd appreciate it.
                      > >
                      > > --- john_apw <infomagic@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Evan and all,
                      > > >
                      > > > I've been in touch
                      with the fellow, and will be
                      > able
                      > > > to arrange a
                      > > > pickup. Please let me know which of the item the
                      > > > museum would want.
                      > > >
                      > > > Also, for anyone in
                      south NJ, I can be a relay
                      > > > station to shorten
                      > > > your trip. Just let me know what you want and we
                      > can
                      > > > arrange a
                      > > > pickup from here.
                      > > >
                      > > > -John
                      > > > Montclair, NJ
                      > > > 973 220-0221
                      cell

                      <djg@p...>
                      Pearl River New York has the
                      > following
                      > > > equipment
                      > > > available.
                      can ship if nobody
                      > > > offers pickup.

                      (protecting
                      > > > email from
                      > > > harvesting).
                      > > > otherwise I will post
                      > > > later

                      to wider distribution lists.

                      PDP Micro 11/73
                      Design Floppy Drive - an RX02
                      > > > look alike
                      printers - these were the
                      > printers
                      > > > that produced
                      > > > IBM

                      LA120
                      > > > equivalent
                      Controller
                      > on
                      > > > the back that
                      > > > allows
                      one

                      memory
                      > > > typewriter.
                      documentation for these
                      > devices
                      > > > as well and I
                      > > > may have
                      > dug
                      > > > out.
                      > > >

                      > > __________________________________
                      > > Yahoo! Mail - PC
                      Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

                      href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • William Pechter
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                        I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
                        because of it's limited address space.

                        Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
                        multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

                        There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
                        GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

                        There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
                        virtual memory).

                        RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
                        software was legally transferred with the hardware.

                        It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
                        where time permits.

                        I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
                        to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

                        They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
                        the PDP 11/73.

                        A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
                        eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
                        was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

                        Bill

                      • billdeg@aol.com

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 4, 2005
                            The only info I have is how to install it on an 11/70.

                            I'll do some checking with the author for further info.

                            Bill
                            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                            > to see
                            > BSD 2.11 runnin' on the Micro 11/73 dep't. All in favor say AYE! ;D
                            >
                            > Aye, matey!
                            >
                            > _____

                            =Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=t9pasmT3
                            > 2p-p2BvQtk8vAw> computer Field

                            +trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=Et_lpqgaXhbeqt
                            > lUXREsiw> trip Computer

                            2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=lTI9crE
                            > 846HktRyJ9cnRXA> security
                            > Computer

                            2=Field+trip&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&c=4&s=84&.sig=vvepx7-
                            > O7ZQcFHPC0FpTNA> training
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                            > Service
                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Chris M
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                              I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                              question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                              running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                              think operating systems, which employ alot of low
                              level stuph, do you have to take into account changes
                              in room temperature when hand fitting portions of
                              code? I don't know what he was referring to, but
                              Andrew Tanenbaum stated something to that effect in
                              his text on MINIX - I forget the exact title. I don't
                              know what computer system he was referring to -
                              obviously he wrote the thing on early pc's, probably
                              completed the os is '86 or '87. I guess on early early
                              stuph this could have been the case, but on a pc??? If
                              this is the case it's skeery. I want out!
                              For those who didn't already know, MINIX was a cut
                              down UNIX clone that he wrote to illustrate operating
                              system principles. It served as the primary
                              inspiration for Linus Torvalds undertaking his own
                              UNIX clone, after his namesake, LINUX.

                              --- William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                              > The only info I have is how to install it on an
                              > 11/70.
                              >
                              > I'll do some checking with the author for further
                              > info.
                              >
                              > Bill

                              __________________________________
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • John Allain
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                                Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                                answers from highly technical people. Simple.

                                John A.
                              • chrism3667
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  If someone chooses not to answer because of my use, or admittedly
                                  abuse *jokingly* of a word here and there, they can keep their answers.
                                  I really don't care for answers from stuphy people. It's that simple...

                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@p...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                  > > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                  > > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's
                                  >
                                  > Stop. Using the word puter and you will get more
                                  > answers from highly technical people. Simple.
                                  >
                                  > John A.
                                • Joe Giliberti
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    John Allain wrote:
                                    > I'm going to ask a weird and highly technical
                                    > question. Assuming someone wanted to get something
                                    > running on a puter it wasn't yet ported to, let's

                                    Stop.  Using the word puter and you will get more
                                    answers from highly technical people.  Simple.

                                    John A.

                                    Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a ph where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"

                                    -Joe
                                  • chrism3667
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                      <starbase89@o...> wrote:

                                      > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                      ph
                                      > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                      >
                                      > -Joe

                                      Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                      It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!
                                    • Joe Giliberti
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                        chrism3667 wrote:

                                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                                        > <starbase89@o...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Got a related question. Why do a lot of people on here spell place a
                                        > ph
                                        > > where an f should be in certain words. Ex. "stuph"
                                        > >
                                        > > -Joe
                                        >
                                        > Dude I think you're imagining alot of people do it. It's just me :).
                                        > It's my trademark expression. I might even have it copyrighted!

                                        Then you most contribute a lot, because I've seen it a hell of a lot
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 5, 2005
                                          I'm killing this thread. (Just as soon as the message system catches
                                          up, which at today's rate could be a while...)

                                          Whether we like Chris' choice of spelling or not, he is not breaking
                                          any rules.

                                          John: I'll send you an off-list message.

                                          To all: We can't tolerate anyone engaging in name-calling, i.e.
                                          "stuffy" (spelling aside).

                                          If anyone really ticks off anyone else, then please either ping me and
                                          I'll try to solve it off-list, or just take it up privately with each
                                          other.

                                          - Evan

                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "chrism3667"