a laugh of a craigslist ad

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2009
      http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/1313118936.html

      For A classic old Mac for vintage collectors!!!

      Apple Macintosh Mac SE/30 computer, Model M5119, is in good cosmetic condition

      Product Description:

Apple M5119 Macintosh SE 30 Vintage Desktop Computer
      84MB SCSI Hard Drive - Operating system (Floppy Disk)
      NO SYSTEM BOARD
      Condition:  Tested working: Boots to floppy disk prompt.  No further testing performed.  Minor scratches/scurfs from normal use.  Item is as shown and as stated. No operating system, no hard drive, , no ac adapter.  No other item is included. Sold as is.

      • Location: Brooklyn
      • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

      If he has it working with no system board, good for him!!!

    • tension_pneumo
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
        Dear Fellow vintage Enthusiast!

        I am trying to understand what this might be funny. I was at a hamfest yesterday and saw a mac classic and it had gray screen of death. I was going to offer 10$ if I got a desktop. There is another craigslist add with a few older macs for 100 an si a ci with stuff. I have already emailed for that. This is nostalgia for me. How much for a working mac plus or classic?

        JR

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
          JR? Who is this?

          You sent one email last year but never an introduction (that I can find)

          > Dear Fellow vintage Enthusiast!
          >
          > I am trying to understand what this might be funny. I was at a hamfest yesterday and saw a mac classic and it had gray screen of death. I was going to offer 10$ if I got a desktop. There is another craigslist add with a few older macs for 100 an si a ci with stuff. I have already emailed for that. This is nostalgia for me. How much for a working mac plus or classic?
          >
          > JR

        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
            --- On Mon, 8/10/09, tension_pneumo <tension_pneumo@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to understand what this might be funny. I was
            > at a hamfest yesterday and saw a mac classic and it had gray
            > screen of death. I was going to offer 10$ if I got a
            > desktop. There is another craigslist add with a few older
            > macs for 100 an si a ci with stuff. I have already emailed
            > for that. This is nostalgia for me. How much for a working
            > mac plus or classic?

            It's funny because of the contradiction in the ad. He states that it works and comes to a blinking question mark screen, but also says that it has no system board. It's like saying that you have a car that runs great, but has no engine.

            But yeah, the price is pretty high. $30 tops.

            -Ian
          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
              If you're patient, you can find them in working condition for $5 or less. This ad is for an apparently non-working SE/30. I say apparently because there are conflicting statements in the ad. For example, it says 84 MB SCSI, and then No Hard Drive. Says tested working, boots to prompt, but then says no system board.

              $80 for a Mac described like that is kinda nuts. I see this type of stuff on Craigs List all the time. There is a guy local to me trying to sell his old PIII (or was it a PII) computer for over $200. That will not sell to anyone that knows anything about these machines. A new junker from Wal Mart is less than $500.