if anyone's interested in the AT & T UNIX PC

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      It's not a PEECEE in the typical sense. Check out this
      link:
      http://unixpc.taronga.com/
      there seems to be alot of junk on there. Good thing,
      all my disks are bad :(

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        Chris,

        I thought those things were cool when they were new, but they run a 68000
        chip so you should stay away. AT&T also had a portable version that I'd
        really like to find, although that product may have never reached the market.
        If you know of a UNIX PC available at my favorite price (including software,
        of course), please, please, please let me know. Another interesting machine
        would be an IBM RT/PC, which ran AIX on an early RISC chip.

        These machines come from the time when many industry pundits thought UNIX
        would succeed DOS as the preferred OS for business PCs.

        Jim

        --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

        > It's not a PEECEE in the typical sense. Check out this
        > link:
        > http://unixpc.taronga.com/
        > there seems to be alot of junk on there. Good thing,
        > all my disks are bad :(
        >

        > __________________________________
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
          --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

          > Chris,
          >
          > I thought those things were cool when they were new,
          > but they run a 68000
          > chip so you should stay away...

          The reason being that it'll meet with a violent
          demise once I found out it didn't have an 8088? Or do
          I sense a hint of anti-Mac/Moto/AtariST/Amiga bigotry?

          Don't hate man :(

          > Another interesting machine
          > would be an IBM RT/PC, which ran AIX on an early
          > RISC chip.These machines come from the time when
          > many industry pundits thought UNIX
          > would succeed DOS as the preferred OS for business
          > PCs.

          Yeah was RISCy business wasn't it? You certainly
          would have experienced some AIX if you had been
          involved in that debacle LOL LOL. Microshaft was in
          the UNIX business at one point (and in fact still is
          trying to emasculate every other vendor on the
          planet). They long for those days of course, and is
          currently working on their very own LINUX DISTRO!
          Beggorah. Bill is contempating naming it Micros-UX LOL
          LOL LOL. Alright, I plagiarized. Saw the cartoon in
          the latest Linux Format.
          A very influential group of us are still looking for
          various versions of Xenix. ANY platform would be
          welcome. The original Micros-UX ;)

          http://mail.yahoo.com