VAX 4000/300

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
      I picked up the VAX 4000/300 system in Philly on Saturday, and put in a
      couple of hours last night cleaning it (just the normal dirt).

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/

      This evening I connected the two cabinets, hooked up a VT420 terminal
      and applied power. The R400X expansion unit powers up normally, but 2 out
      of the 5 RF-31 DSSI drives show Faulted:

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/Vax-34L.jpg

      The main cabinet has a more serious problem: the power supply doesn't
      go ready (no green light), except for once (briefly):

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/Vax-35L.jpg

      At that point, the self test showed up on the console, until the power
      supply faulted again:

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/Vax-36L.jpg

      The power supply problem is inconsistent, and seemed to improve the
      more I played with it. I temporarily swapped the power supply in from the
      expansion cabinet, and it did pretty much the same thing. I'll continue
      to work on it, but I'm encouraged.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Barry L. Kline
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        > I picked up the VAX 4000/300 system in Philly on Saturday, and put in a
        > couple of hours last night cleaning it (just the normal dirt).
        >
        > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/

        Those brass instruments really add a touch of class to the photo
        Vax-25L.jpg.

        ;-)

        Barry
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
          On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Barry L. Kline wrote:

          > Mike Loewen wrote:
          >> I picked up the VAX 4000/300 system in Philly on Saturday, and put in a
          >> couple of hours last night cleaning it (just the normal dirt).
          >>
          >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/
          >
          > Those brass instruments really add a touch of class to the photo
          > Vax-25L.jpg.

          Ssshhh...my wife is laid up recovering from foot surgery, and can't get
          down the stairs to see what I'm doing in the studio. :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
            Mike,

            Very cool. And thanks for not putting up a directory list of filenames.
            An actual webpage is so much nicer!

            Jim