Re: [midatlanticretro] Q-Link

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial in
      directly, that'd be even better.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
        Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I miss the
        comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading messages
        using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...

        Oh for the good old days!

        BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try http://freeshell.org/. A
        limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you get more
        complete shell account functionality for life.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
            In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
            "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
            Oh well!

            ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
            freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

            Jim

            --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

            > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I miss
            > the
            > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading messages
            > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
            >
            > Oh for the good old days!
            >
            > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try http://freeshell.org/. A
            > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you get more
            > complete shell account functionality for life.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --- billdeg@... wrote:
            >
            > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial in
            > > directly, that'd be even better.
            > > Bill

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
              Jim Scheef wrote:
              > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
              > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
              > Oh well!
              >
              > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
              > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

              Why is freeshell.org a vintage experience? I still use a shell to do
              most of my work, both at home *and at work*. I use a shell to make my
              living.

              Calling it vintage is calling the CLI outdated is calling UNIX outdated.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • William Pechter
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                There's a few old CIS users out here who miss it tonight and new the
                end of computing as we know it occurred not with Windows/DOS but with
                the AOL buyout of the CIS name.

                Here's to MNET11 8-)

                --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat
                > in
                > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong
                > button.
                > Oh well!
                >
                > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services,
                > and
                > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".
                >
                > Jim
                >
                > --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I
                > miss
                > > the
                > > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading
                > messages
                > > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
                > >
                > > Oh for the good old days!
                > >
                > > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try
                > http://freeshell.org/. A
                > > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you
                > get more
                > > complete shell account functionality for life.
                > >
                > > Jim
                > >
                > > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                > >
                > > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial
                > in
                > > > directly, that'd be even better.
                > > > Bill

              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                  I've got to agree with this.  What's retro about a command line interface?  I've got
                  multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work.  Is that site "vintage" because of
                  the machines they use?

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
                    Bob Applegate wrote:
                    > I've got to agree with this. What's retro about a command line
                    > interface? I've got
                    > multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work. Is that site "vintage"
                    > because of
                    > the machines they use?

                    They use Alphaservers running NetBSD. Those aren't vintage either.

                    They do run a good service, though.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
                      Bob and Sridhar,

                      Well, the **IX command line interface is "retro" (as opposed to "vintage")
                      because that's where it all started. If you use it today, it's not because
                      you MUST, but because you want to. "User Friendly is what you know." I use
                      the command shell in Windows XP when it suits my needs, but I don't try to
                      configure the Windows DHCP server using the command line. It can be done, but
                      why would I want to when it's so much easier and faster to use the GUI? Of
                      course on Linux one has no choice but to edit the config files using vi or
                      the editor dujour.

                      CompuServe still exists (sort of) but the old ASCII interface to the fora is
                      gone. Even the Wizop tools are gone. I will probably not need my copy of
                      TapCIS anytime soon.

                      Jim