RE: [midatlanticretro] Antiques Roadshow MAC Classic

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
      That's what it was. I saw the episode. It had the typical WOZ scribble on it in black sharpie and a note to the original owner. Still sounds like a LOT.
      From: Jim Scheef <scheefj@netscape. net>

      Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:45:08
      To: <midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com>

      First, Woz never signed any Mac Classics, introduced in 1990. Did he
      sign any original Macs given that we was not part of the project?
      Signatures on early production 128k Macs by Jobs, et al, were those
      people in the Mac Division.

      Appraisals on Antiques Roadshow are always "estimated at public auction"
      and are often ridiculously high to keep the ratings up. Like so much on
      TV, reality is not a concern. If this was indeed a Classic, the
      appraiser did absolutely no homework.

      Jim

    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
        Any idea who did the appraising? I'd really like to know, or at least be able to look up the episode online.

        MARCH should sell its Mac Classic for the bargain price of $5,500. :)

        From: "Kelly D. Leavitt"
        Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:22:44 -0400
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
          Evan,

          I searched on the Antiques Roadshow website and could not find anything
          on this Mac. Apparently a $6000 computer does not rate in their world.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
            My cable box says it's showing again tomorrow at 8pm on the local PBS
            station (actually it just says "rerun" but I'm hoping it is the current
            episode) .... "This I gotta see!"

            I hope to catch the name of the appraiser, Google him, and answer the
            burning question: "What the heck?"

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
              Now it says tonight's episode is a 2006 re-run.

              Oh well.

              If anyone ever sees the Mac episode again, please note the name /
              company of the appraiser.

            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                George Glastris, Boston MA. I think they said it was appraised in 2001.

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                  2001? I don't understand. Wasn't this a new episode?

                  > George Glastris, Boston MA. I think they said it was appraised in 2001.

                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                    Nope, "best of" episode.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                      Says Mr. Google: "George Glastris, a specialist in antique scales and
                      balances at Skinner, Inc, the Boston -based auctioneer of fine arts and
                      antiques."

                      I'm sure he is very in touch with the vintage computing hobby ..... yeah
                      right ....