Re: [midatlanticretro] Jim She's Not Quite Dead Yet (was Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD)

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
      On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:

      > Mike Loewen wrote:
      >

      >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
      >> 70s. Just check the label before using.
      >>
      > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?

      Not at all. Here's a couple:

      http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
      http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
      http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
        Mike Loewen wrote:

        > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:
        >
        > > Mike Loewen wrote:
        > >

        > >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at
        > least the
        > >> 70s. Just check the label before using.

        > > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
        >
        > Not at all. Here's a couple:
        >
        > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
        > <http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315>
        > http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
        > http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

        I wish I had known about those when I was working on my pinball machine.
        :-[
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
          This discussion reminds me that someone asked what I
          was putting on the bus contacts in Bill D's IMSAI. It
          was CIAG Labs DeoxIT concentrate followed by Nye Labs
          Nyogel 759G. The DeoxIT cleans up the contacting surfaces
          and the Nyogel lubricates and protects them. I've made
          a number of flakey machines solid by applying it to bus
          contacts and floppy cables. I've never tried it on chip
          pins but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work,
          although it might get a little messy.

          Bill S.
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
            Gosh, I thought CFC's were outlawed! Maybe if I bought 50 cans I could get
            the AC in my car to work and stop leaking! And end life as we know it in the
            process...

            Jim

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
              Bill,

              I was the one who asked. I have two machines that might benefir from such a
              treatment. Both machines have some tin contacts that no longer make an
              effective connection.

              Jim