Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Burroughs L700 with work station

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
      Bill and all,

      This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
      and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
      asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
      is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
      truck sounds like $300+.

      Jim

    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
        We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

        Bill Degnan wrote:

        > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
        > Do we
        > went to just rent a truck?
        >
        > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
        > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
        > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
        > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
        >
        > Bill

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

          B Degnan wrote:
          does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
          work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
          and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
          can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
          and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

          I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

          Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
          http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

            > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
            > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
            > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
            > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
            > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
            > the machine relocated to Infoage.
            >
            > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
            > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
            >

            > =Dan
            Thanks Dan.
          • evan@snarc.net