Re: [midatlanticretro] Antiques Roadshow MAC Classic

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hahahahahahaha

      I'd like to know the identity of this appraiser.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
        what city were they in?

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
          First, Woz never signed any Mac Classics, introduced in 1990. Did he
          sign any original Macs given that we was not part of the project?
          Signatures on early production 128k Macs by Jobs, et al, were those
          people in the Mac Division.

          Appraisals on Antiques Roadshow are always "estimated at public auction"
          and are often ridiculously high to keep the ratings up. Like so much on
          TV, reality is not a concern. If this was indeed a Classic, the
          appraiser did absolutely no homework.

          Jim

        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
            I agree that it's all ridiculous, but there's the possibility that someone actually had Woz take a Sharpie and physically autograph the computer.

            Joe Giliberti wrote:

            > what city were they in?
            >
            > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM, <evan@...
            > <mailto:evan@...>> wrote:
            >

            > Hahahahahahaha
            >
            > I'd like to know the identity of this appraiser.

          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
              That's what it was. I saw the episode. It had the typical WOZ scribble on it in black sharpie and a note to the original owner. Still sounds like a LOT.

            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                Any idea who did the appraising? I'd really like to know, or at least be able to look up the episode online.

                MARCH should sell its Mac Classic for the bargain price of $5,500. :)

                From: "Kelly D. Leavitt"
                Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:22:44 -0400
                To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Evan,

                  I searched on the Antiques Roadshow website and could not find anything
                  on this Mac. Apparently a $6000 computer does not rate in their world.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                    My cable box says it's showing again tomorrow at 8pm on the local PBS
                    station (actually it just says "rerun" but I'm hoping it is the current
                    episode) .... "This I gotta see!"

                    I hope to catch the name of the appraiser, Google him, and answer the
                    burning question: "What the heck?"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                      Now it says tonight's episode is a 2006 re-run.

                      Oh well.

                      If anyone ever sees the Mac episode again, please note the name /
                      company of the appraiser.

                    • Kelly D. Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                        George Glastris, Boston MA. I think they said it was appraised in 2001.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                          2001? I don't understand. Wasn't this a new episode?

                          > George Glastris, Boston MA. I think they said it was appraised in 2001.

                        • Kelly D. Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                            Nope, "best of" episode.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                              Says Mr. Google: "George Glastris, a specialist in antique scales and
                              balances at Skinner, Inc, the Boston -based auctioneer of fine arts and
                              antiques."

                              I'm sure he is very in touch with the vintage computing hobby ..... yeah
                              right ....