Antiques Roadshow MAC Classic

  • rkushnier
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
      Just happened to catch an Antiques Roadshow. Someone brought in a MAC Classic signed by "The Woz". Estimated value was appraised at $6000 to $8000.

      Really????

      FYI

      Ron
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
        Hahahahahahaha

        I'd like to know the identity of this appraiser.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
          what city were they in?

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
            First, Woz never signed any Mac Classics, introduced in 1990. Did he
            sign any original Macs given that we was not part of the project?
            Signatures on early production 128k Macs by Jobs, et al, were those
            people in the Mac Division.

            Appraisals on Antiques Roadshow are always "estimated at public auction"
            and are often ridiculously high to keep the ratings up. Like so much on
            TV, reality is not a concern. If this was indeed a Classic, the
            appraiser did absolutely no homework.

            Jim

          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
              I agree that it's all ridiculous, but there's the possibility that someone actually had Woz take a Sharpie and physically autograph the computer.

              Joe Giliberti wrote:

              > what city were they in?
              >
              > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM, <evan@...
              > <mailto:evan@...>> wrote:
              >

              > Hahahahahahaha
              >
              > I'd like to know the identity of this appraiser.

            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                That's what it was. I saw the episode. It had the typical WOZ scribble on it in black sharpie and a note to the original owner. Still sounds like a LOT.

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Any idea who did the appraising? I'd really like to know, or at least be able to look up the episode online.

                  MARCH should sell its Mac Classic for the bargain price of $5,500. :)

                  From: "Kelly D. Leavitt"
                  Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:22:44 -0400
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Evan,

                    I searched on the Antiques Roadshow website and could not find anything
                    on this Mac. Apparently a $6000 computer does not rate in their world.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                      My cable box says it's showing again tomorrow at 8pm on the local PBS
                      station (actually it just says "rerun" but I'm hoping it is the current
                      episode) .... "This I gotta see!"

                      I hope to catch the name of the appraiser, Google him, and answer the
                      burning question: "What the heck?"

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                        Now it says tonight's episode is a 2006 re-run.

                        Oh well.

                        If anyone ever sees the Mac episode again, please note the name /
                        company of the appraiser.

                      • Kelly D. Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                          George Glastris, Boston MA. I think they said it was appraised in 2001.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                            2001? I don't understand. Wasn't this a new episode?

                            > George Glastris, Boston MA. I think they said it was appraised in 2001.

                          • Kelly D. Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                              Nope, "best of" episode.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                                Says Mr. Google: "George Glastris, a specialist in antique scales and
                                balances at Skinner, Inc, the Boston -based auctioneer of fine arts and
                                antiques."

                                I'm sure he is very in touch with the vintage computing hobby ..... yeah
                                right ....