Re: [midatlanticretro] Jim She's Not Quite Dead Yet (was Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD)

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
      Mike Loewen wrote:

      > They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
      > 70s. Just check the label before using.

      aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
        On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:

        > Mike Loewen wrote:
        >

        >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
        >> 70s. Just check the label before using.
        >>
        > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?

        Not at all. Here's a couple:

        http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
        http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
        http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
          Mike Loewen wrote:

          > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:
          >
          > > Mike Loewen wrote:
          > >

          > >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at
          > least the
          > >> 70s. Just check the label before using.

          > > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
          >
          > Not at all. Here's a couple:
          >
          > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
          > <http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315>
          > http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
          > http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

          I wish I had known about those when I was working on my pinball machine.
          :-[
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
            This discussion reminds me that someone asked what I
            was putting on the bus contacts in Bill D's IMSAI. It
            was CIAG Labs DeoxIT concentrate followed by Nye Labs
            Nyogel 759G. The DeoxIT cleans up the contacting surfaces
            and the Nyogel lubricates and protects them. I've made
            a number of flakey machines solid by applying it to bus
            contacts and floppy cables. I've never tried it on chip
            pins but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work,
            although it might get a little messy.

            Bill S.
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
              Gosh, I thought CFC's were outlawed! Maybe if I bought 50 cans I could get
              the AC in my car to work and stop leaking! And end life as we know it in the
              process...

              Jim

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                Bill,

                I was the one who asked. I have two machines that might benefir from such a
                treatment. Both machines have some tin contacts that no longer make an
                effective connection.

                Jim