OT: "KGB"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2009
      Has anyone seen the TV commercials for a company called "KGB" --
      "Knowledge Generation Bureau" .... ?

      You send a text message, and they answer for 99 cents.

      I decided to test it. I sent a message asking, "When were PDAs
      invented?" and of course I know the answer is "In the late 1970s."

      They responded, "The first PDA came out in 1983 by Casio" .... which it
      exactly what the (horribly wrong) Wikipedia entry says. In other words,
      KGB's "research" consisted of a Google/Wikipedia search, and they
      immediately replied with the first thing they found.

      Another fun test would be to edit a Wikipedia change .... i.e. go to the
      Benjamin Franklin page and change the year he was born to something a
      few years off .... then send a question asking when he was born .... and
      watch them reply with the date that you changed it to ......

      It was almost worth the 99 cents for this entertainment.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2009
        yeah sounds like it. they just thought of a way to make a lot of money using existing databases. just search what is out there already and spit it out.