Re: [midatlanticretro] Jim She's Not Quite Dead Yet (was Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD)

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005

      > If you are refering to contact cleaner, DO NOT USE!
      > Can cause certain
      > types of plastics to shrink, and can catch fire if
      > it has not completely
      > dried

      They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
      70s. Just check the label before using.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
        Mike Loewen wrote:

        > They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
        > 70s. Just check the label before using.

        aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
          On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:

          > Mike Loewen wrote:
          >

          >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at least the
          >> 70s. Just check the label before using.
          >>
          > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?

          Not at all. Here's a couple:

          http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
          http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
          http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
            Mike Loewen wrote:

            > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Joe Giliberti wrote:
            >
            > > Mike Loewen wrote:
            > >

            > >> They've been making plastics-safe contact cleaner since at
            > least the
            > >> 70s. Just check the label before using.

            > > aren't those usually just cans of compressed air?
            >
            > Not at all. Here's a couple:
            >
            > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315
            > <http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-4315>
            > http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
            > http://www.techspray.com/contactcleaners.htm

            I wish I had known about those when I was working on my pinball machine.
            :-[
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2005
              This discussion reminds me that someone asked what I
              was putting on the bus contacts in Bill D's IMSAI. It
              was CIAG Labs DeoxIT concentrate followed by Nye Labs
              Nyogel 759G. The DeoxIT cleans up the contacting surfaces
              and the Nyogel lubricates and protects them. I've made
              a number of flakey machines solid by applying it to bus
              contacts and floppy cables. I've never tried it on chip
              pins but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work,
              although it might get a little messy.

              Bill S.
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                Gosh, I thought CFC's were outlawed! Maybe if I bought 50 cans I could get
                the AC in my car to work and stop leaking! And end life as we know it in the
                process...

                Jim

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2005
                  Bill,

                  I was the one who asked. I have two machines that might benefir from such a
                  treatment. Both machines have some tin contacts that no longer make an
                  effective connection.

                  Jim