Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Burroughs L700 with work station

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
      Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

      I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
        I will try to find the best way to do this.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
          Fear not!

          Here is the plan for the L7000.

          First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
          looks (more or less) like this:

          http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

          The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
          upper right corner:

          DEC PDP-8 - 1965
          Data General Nova - 1969
          DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
          IBM System/34 - 1978
          Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
          Burroughs B-80 - 1982

          Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
          VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
          B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
          so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
          actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

          So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
            Bill and all,

            This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
            and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
            asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
            is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
            truck sounds like $300+.

            Jim

          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
              We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

              Bill Degnan wrote:

              > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
              > Do we
              > went to just rent a truck?
              >
              > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
              > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
              > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
              > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
              >
              > Bill

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                B Degnan wrote:
                does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                =Dan

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                  > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                  > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                  > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                  > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                  > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                  > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                  >
                  > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                  > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                  >

                  > =Dan
                  Thanks Dan.
                • evan@snarc.net