Re: [midatlanticretro] Burroughs L700 with work station

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
      >>> The work station is similar to the 82 unit, but it's 12 years older tech.

      Okay. In that case we can just swap them. But it will require more re-arranging in that room. :)
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
        die die die die die

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
          Okay man. It's your project ... just please shop long and wide for the best deal on a truck.

          I * might * have someone at Infoage who can help us though. Would a low trailer with a ramp and tarp be okay? That's how we got the IBM 082 card sorter here from Cherry Hill.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
            I will try to find the best way to do this.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
              Fear not!

              Here is the plan for the L7000.

              First, since most MARCHins haven't yet seen the minicomputer room, it
              looks (more or less) like this:

              http://snarc.net/mini.jpg

              The systems are arranged chronologically (counterclockwise) from the
              upper right corner:

              DEC PDP-8 - 1965
              Data General Nova - 1969
              DEC PDP-11/20 - 1970
              IBM System/34 - 1978
              Perkin-Elmer 3xxx (I always forget the model number) - 1979
              Burroughs B-80 - 1982

              Right now the System/34 is represented by an empty space. So, after
              VCF, we'll put the L7000 there, and we'll put the System/34 where the
              B-80 currently sits. If we have to sacrifice the P-E from this exhibit,
              so be it. But first we'll try to put the '34 along the wall (where the
              actual 'B-80' letters are in the drawing) and the P-E along the side wall.

              So, rearranging this room will actually be fairly simple.

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                Bill and all,

                This is sounding like a pretty large effort. Should we let this one go
                and look for something similar from an East coast manufacturer? I'm just
                asking for a sanity check now that we are past the knee-jerk. Yes, this
                is a worthy machine. Can we afford the cost of this rescue? Renting the
                truck sounds like $300+.

                Jim

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
                  We'll get transportation free from various Infoage people. A totally worthwhile rescue.

                  Bill Degnan wrote:

                  > > You've probably seen my van, but that's not big enough to move it.
                  > Do we
                  > went to just rent a truck?
                  >
                  > We'd need a serious truck with a lift, etc. We'd have to rent that. We
                  > are also going to have to disassemble the work station and carry it up a
                  > flight of stairs. This is going to require some power tools, etc. I will
                  > have to corregraph a plan, etc.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                    B Degnan wrote:
                    does MARCH want a Burroughts L7000 minicomputer (1971)?  It comes with a
                    work station that reads cards, etc.  It's very dusty, but it's complete,
                    and would take up an entire wall in the minicomputer exhibit room.    I
                    can be cleaned and should be in a museum.    It's kind of like the L5000
                    and L9000 I have read, but there are no pics on the web.

                    I dug up this document recently while searching for other things online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have the machine relocated to Infoage.

                    Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                    http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf

                    =Dan

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 22, 2009

                      > I dug up this document recently while searching for other things
                      > online and I noticed it mentions about this machine among others. It
                      > has quite a comprehensive look at the comparisons between the various
                      > business computers of the day. It also has a good amount of technical
                      > info which would help towards documenting this exhibit once you have
                      > the machine relocated to Infoage.
                      >
                      > Auerbach Guide to Small Business Computers ,1972, 156pgs
                      > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/docs/Auerbach1972.pdf
                      >

                      > =Dan
                      Thanks Dan.
                    • evan@snarc.net